Installing into ZC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

32bit.flannel

Nov 12, 2013
Ohio
Hi all,

Been noticing that all of my google searches about wood stoves leads me here, so I figured this was the best place to start! Here is my story.

I just got a 90 Lopi Revere that I am about to cram into an existing ZC. The damper handle of the ZC said "Heatilator" on it, so I assume that's the brand. Not sure of the model but there are blowers in the brick face that my chimney sweep told me were part of the unit. My house was built in '58 and I cannot imaging that this prefab was installed after the fact, so it must be about that old. The chimney sweep inspected it and told me NOT to burn in the ZC unless I installed an insert WITH a SS liner. The chimney has clay liner already but the problem, he said, was that (since previous owners never installed a cap) water damage has ruined the ZC and where it meets the actual chimney is no longer sealed/safe. So I had planned to install a wood burner insert anyway, just wasn't expecting to need the liner. No biggie, got a UL listed SS kit with insulation and just need to do some cutting to get it to fit. So tonight as I was cleaning out the fireplace and cutting out the damper I noticed there are some gaps in places. That is what I need help with...do these gaps matter since the firebox and exhaust will be sealed off from the ZC? Said gaps are around the perimeter of where the insert should butt up against the brick face. Gaps are maybe half and inch or so, I can see insulation through them. I would ASSUME the insulation is fireproof, as it is installed within a fireplace unit, but we all know where ASSumptions can get us ;-) Should I be concerned with any gaps like this? Must I fire caulk/cement them? Any other general suggestions based on what I am doing here?

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Let's back up a couple steps and define what you have!

Based on what you are saying, you don't have a ZC. You have a masonry fireplace with a "heatform" in it. Does this sound right?

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/heatform/

As far as the gaps you are referring to, these are quite typical with these fireplaces and should not affect anything if you are installing a completely sealed system. If it were mine, I'd seal them anyway with a fireblock, etc. like:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Fire-Block-Sealant-Caulk/dp/B00176PJL6

Hardware stores and big boxes all carry similar stuff. But you are doing that mostly just for placebo effect, IMHO.....and maybe it will cut off a bit of air leakage.

Let's back up a couple steps and define what you have!

Based on what you are saying, you don't have a ZC. You have a masonry fireplace with a "heatform" in it. Does this sound right?

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/heatform/

As far as the gaps you are referring to, these are quite typical with these fireplaces and should not affect anything if you are installing a completely sealed system. If it were mine, I'd seal them anyway with a fireblock, etc. like:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Fire-Block-Sealant-Caulk/dp/B00176PJL6

Hardware stores and big boxes all carry similar stuff. But you are doing that mostly just for placebo effect, IMHO.....and maybe it will cut off a bit of air leakage.

And THIS is exactly why I defer to the experts! My chimney guy technically called it a prefab...and based on his explanation I deduced it was a ZC. Having found the name "heatilator" only tonight, I never plugged it in to any searches. Sir, what you linked sounds EXACTLY like what I have. I do have firebrick on the floor of the fireplace, and the entire unit is encased by cinderblock walls...but I'd never seen anything like it before so I would never have called it masonry. Thanks for helping me to clear that up!

So does this change anything?

And while we are here, is $400 an ok price for a 1990 Revere with blowers?

Actually, it doesn't change anything and is, if anything, positive as real ZC fireplaces can be problems with inserts!

As far as the price for the Revere - I'd say if it's in excellent condition, that's a good price.....meaning no broken glass, the air tube and baffle and the holders for it not warped too bad, etc.

[qThat's "webbie, post: 1571736, member: 2"]Actually, it doesn't change anything and is, if anything, positive as real ZC fireplaces can be problems with inserts!

As far as the price for the Revere - I'd say if it's in excellent condition, that's a good price.....meaning no broken glass, the air tube and baffle and the holders for it not warped too bad, etc.[/quote]

Thats good news!

The lopi was missing the yoke and extension rod for the damper/slide thing. That and a good sanding and fresh paint are all it needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.