Installing wood furnace in cargo trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck and be safe catriverrat. It sounds like there is nothing we can do but wish you well.

bhollerI know post: 1967185 said:
Well if you have only had one incident in 30 years then you don't need to follow those pesky codes or instructions you will be fine.
As a carpenter i know all about codes an inspections. IMO an outdoor wood heat source is much safer. I am interested in making a safe outdoor wood fired heat source. Just asking for ideas I am capable of constructing a safe and economic outside wood burner.

Proper installation, operation and maintenance are what assures safety. Almost none of us here would have wood heaters in our houses if there were problems of safety.

2. Do not install this furnace in a mobile home or trailer.

Right from the hotblast manual pretty clear

Surprised this didn't get moved to the boiler room.
Anyways, if you are determined to do this, I'd at least find and read the owners/install manuals for some different outdoor hot air furnaces, see what requirements they have.
Shelter (sold by Menards - made by Fire Chief) makes some and I know there are others

Sounds like sound advice to me

I am capable of constructing a safe and economic outside wood burner.
…in a non permanent "old insulated job trailer". Come on man, what do you think to yourself when a homeowner says something like that to you? You DO know about codes and inspections if you're a pro. You know there is a reason for them, and you know that your rig wouldn't pass any of them. No reason to die in your sleep just to get another old house remodeled.

Ok let's get away from the trailer idea. I think I have not conveyed my idea properly. Let's say I have a small metal building that I can move that I would like to mount a wood burning furance in for a heat source for my home.

OK letsuote="bholler, post: 1967209, member: 32126"]2. Do not install this furnace in a mobile home or trailer.

Ok let's get away from the trailer idea. I think I have not conveyed my idea properly. Let's say I have a small metal building that I can move that I would like to mount a wood burning furance in for a heat source for my home.

So you are saying the wheels are coming off...and sitting directly on the ground or some sort of foundation?

Do you have to pass inspection for this installation? Is there insurance on the house that would cover this installation?

brenndatompercent : 1967225 said:
So you are saying the wheels are coming off...and sitting directly on the ground or some sort of foundation?
I could make it a perment structure but would rather be able to move it in the off season.

I could make it a perment structure but would rather be able to move it in the off season.

I've never been to Iowa but I would think y'all get at least as much wind as us in the winter...having a fire goin in a trailer that could blow over into my house would make me real nervous

I've never been to Iowa but I would think y'all get at least as much wind as us in the winter...having a fire goin in a trailer that could blow over into my house would make me real nervous
Wow that would be a strong wind.If I decide to go with the trailer idea I was planning on making concrete block surround that would weigh approx. 2000#

just get an owb if that is what you want

Moving this thread to the boiler and furnace room.

Heres a "things i've seen in life" viewpoint - Hot air doesn't travel distances anywhere near as good as hot water. Unless you put that unit right up against the side of your house, most of that 6 to 8 cords of dry wood you have will be lost heating the Iowa winter. A true outside boiler with a heat exchanger in your furnace is the way i'd go, it's just into September, you have time - Do it once, be done with it - Just my 2 cents............

The Hotblast wastes heat to start with, even when installed correctly in a house.

Put it outside and at least 3/4 of the heat your wood contains, will not make it to the house.

We're not saying this is a bad idea, just to be able to say it. It is a bad idea - straight up.

If you NEED to have the fire out of the house, then go with a boiler. Either a good OWB, or a good indoor one inside an outbuilding. But there is no reason to be scared of putting a wood burning furnace in a basement. That is what they are designed for, and how they are used by thousands - as long as installed correctly you will be fine.

I agree with the majority of the comments stating it is a scary, inefficient and dangerous idea. But...... If you do decided to go this route, I would love to see some pics of the setup when it is complete.

Due to our local laws prohibiting all sorts of things I have considered a wood burner in a trailer. You'll see woodburners in trailers at home shows and state fairs for mobile marketing displays. There is no reason that the woodburner can't be in a trailer. The problem is the ducting if you choose to use a wood furnace. Heat loss from the ducting, flexibility in the ducting since the trailer will wiggle, proper slope and size of ducting means huge holes in your house, proximity of the trailer to the house, etc. For me, it was always about heating water in the trailer and then plumbing that water into the home/shop for heat.

I would want the trailer a safe distance from the house so that if it burst into flames, no big deal. The trailer is not a "building" so the county doesn't regulate setbacks or size, the woodburner is not installed at the property so there are no permits or insurance issues. It's like a big portable heater. If a neighbor didn't like how close it was to the property line then you could relocate it or you could even seasonally relocate it. A trailer won't blow over but it will wiggle.

I'muote="Highbeam, post: 1967369, member: 1382"]Due to our local laws prohibiting all sorts of things I have considered a wood burner in a trailer. You'll see woodburners in trailers at home shows and state fairs for mobile marketing displays. There is no reason that the woodburner can't be in a trailer. The problem is the ducting if you choose to use a wood furnace. Heat loss from the ducting, flexibility in the ducting since the trailer will wiggle, proper slope and size of ducting means huge holes in your house, proximity of the trailer to the house, etc. For me, it was always about heating water in the trailer and then plumbing that water into the home/shop for heat.

I would want the trailer a safe distance from the house so that if it burst into flames, no big deal. The trailer is not a "building" so the county doesn't regulate setbacks or size, the woodburner is not installed at the property so there are no permits or insurance issues. It's like a big portable heater. If a neighbor didn't like how close it was to the property line then you could relocate it or you could even seasonally relocate it. A trailer won't blow over but it will wiggle.[/quote]
I'm sure I could make it work but if I would need an extra inline blower to get hot air into the house combined with heat loss. Still trying to sort that out.

I'll see a couple of my havc friends tonite at my grandsons track meet maybe they can give me an air flow formula to see how how I move the heated air. How much insulation etc.

I'm sure I could make it work but if I would need an extra inline blower to get hot air into the house combined with heat loss.

You're behind an 8 ball to begin with, with the furnace you have. It is inefficient to start with, sending a lot of the heat from the wood it eats up the chimney to outdoors. I.e., poor heat exchange to the ductwork. The only thing that moving more air through it will do, is make the air coming out cooler.

At least with this furnace in the house, you would keep some of that heat loss in the house - the heat that also radiates off it. If it's outdoors, you will lose that too.

You are getting sound advice from everyone here.

I'm sure I could make it work but if I would need an extra inline blower to get hot air into the house combined with heat loss.

You're behind an 8 ball to begin with, with the furnace you have. It is inefficient to start with, sending a lot of the heat from the wood it eats up the chimney to outdoors. I.e., poor heat exchange to the ductwork. The only thing that moving more air through it will do, is make the air coming out cooler.

At least with this furnace in the house, you would keep some of that heat loss in the house - the heat that also radiates off it. If it's outdoors, you will lose that too.

You are getting sound advice from everyone here.
Putting it in the house is not a option. I understand that the stove that I have is not the best but for what it cost me (free) I think I can make it work. Most of the heat loss will remain in the trailer I would think. Yes a boiler would be great but I believe it would take to long to pay for itself. I only really need to heat the the first floor of the house anyway. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.