Installing Woodstock Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WNY PAT

Oct 28, 2008
Western New York
Hey Everyone,

Lurking around for awhile reading up on some things and what a great site! Here's my quandry:

I know very little about wood stoves, in fact, the Woodstock I have was inherited from my grandfather. He purchased it in 1991 but never used it... never even hooked it in to his chimney. Anyway, I just purchased a matching floor pad from Woodstock and a couple of heat shields I need for the corner where I am installing the thing. I believe I have all the stovepipe and stainless pipe as well as the thru-wall kit to run the chimney. Unfortunately, I cannot put a chimney in my house nor can I run through the ceiling to the second floor..... and that relegates me to running the pipe up the outside wall. Not ideal, but it'll have to do. So, here are my questions:

Are there any installers in the Buffalo, NY area willing to put the chimney in for me? Everything for the chimney is brand new, in boxes. The stove will be set on the pad with almost 2X the required clearances... I have the rear heat shield and pipe shield installed already. I have 1 36" section and 1 12" section of 22 gauge single wall stove pipe with 2 elbows for the interior. I have the through wall kit from Simpson (includes cap and everything) and 3 stainless wall brackets as well as a roof support bracket. I bought 21 feet of the stainless pipe, although I think 18 feet will put me 3 feet above anything within 10. If not, the extra piece is there. Willing to pay good labor rate if a professional is willing to do the job in the next couple weeks. I also have the 30 degree elbow kit from Simpson to get around the eave.

Now, if I end up doing it myself - how do I finish off the exterior with siding? Do I need to install J-channel or is there some easier way? Other than that, it seems pretty straightforward. Am I missing anything?

I put a steel welded stove and installed the same chimney kit in my barn last year and the chimney seems to draw well and burn nicely. I used the through wall kit because the previous owner had left all the stuff to do the project there in the barn. Problem was, the stuff had been used in another house and then removed. I put some of the sections together and they fit but not as tightly as new sections, so I decided that it would be better to buy brand new stuff for the house and use the old stuff in the barn. In the barn, I really don't much care since the walls are metal and the stove isn't near anything combustible anyway.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.