Installing WS into old House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Quielo

Mar 18, 2019
Northern Cal
I'm getting ready to close on a house in the Portland (OR) burbs. There is a spot that had a wood stove previously but was removed due to being pre-EPA.

Portland is not really cold with snow a couple of days a year and an average of just one inch per year. There is a significant number of cool damp days and the stove will be the primary form of heat. I plan to keep the central heat at 45 degrees and everything over will come from the stove.

The floor where it will be placed is the lowest level and the existing flue rises another two stories above so it looks like I have a lot of rise.

I am concerned about the low, off center, through wall fitting. Do I need a particular vent placement on the stove? Or can all top or back vents be routed to the side like this?

There is a QF Explorer III on sale at a local shop (40%) but I am worried that will be overkill for my needs and I should be looking for something smaller. The house is 2800 square feet but the climate is not that cold. Likely I will end up burning Doug Fir as that has the greatest availability.

Thanks for replies.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 229
  • e6e89290a9b6aa159ed4f01c51c99e82l-m26xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
    e6e89290a9b6aa159ed4f01c51c99e82l-m26xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 182
You can top vent, with a 45º offset to the existing thimble. First get the chimney system cleaned and inspected. Make sure the thimble passing through the was is proper. Does the thimble connect into a masonry or metal chimney? How tall is it and what is its ID?

The Explorer II will not be too large. You control the heat output by the amount of fuel and air the fire is provided.

You can top vent, with a 45º offset to the existing thimble. First get the chimney system cleaned and inspected. Make sure the thimble passing through the was is proper. Does the thimble connect into a masonry or metal chimney? How tall is it and what is its ID?

The Explorer II will not be too large. You control the heat output by the amount of fuel and air the fire is provided.

Thanks for the reply. There is a metal flue with an OD of about 8-10 inches leading away. Not sure of the ID. I will not DIY. The stove is a III not a II. I am thinking a II will be better sized. The metal flue is more than 20' high. I have attached a photo of the metal flue. We are having the tree limbs pruned to avoid fire danger. I do not believe there is an "R" rating needed but I need to go back to the specs.

Attachments

• back1crop.jpg
    back1crop.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 211
If the chimney is 8" OD and 6" ID it should be fine. How open is this room to the rest of the house? If very open then the III would work. The main issue will be heat circulation.

I fought a too-small noncat in our climate for much too long. With your intent to private full time heat you will want to keep that stove hot overnight so long burntimes are important and with the need to heat such a huge amount of area, the stove really can't be too big.

Does that brick go straight thru to outside, or is it just a single course over a framed wall?

Are we sure about top venting? That thimble doesn't look all that far off the floor - could be the pic though.

Are we sure about top venting? That thimble doesn't look all that far off the floor - could be the pic though.
Might be close. I count 14 bricks to the centerline of the thimble and am guessing about 52" or a 22" rise off the top of a 30" high flue collar.