Insulation behind insert surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie 08

Jan 3, 2008
Central Indiana
I was hoping to use high heat caulking around where my insert and surround panels meet and then use some sort of insulation to cover the back of the panels around the insert inside the fireplace. Is this ok to do and if so what kind of insulation can I use?

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

A good block off plate with insulation on top of it (k wool) will do essentially the same thing.

I am hoping to put in a block off plate as well. But in the meantime and additionally I would like to be able to seal and insulate the gap between the insert and the surrond panels. Is it ok to use any high temperture insulation? Maybe the same stuff you would wrap the liner with?

If it was intended to insulate around the casing of the insert, the manual from the manufacturer would specify so.
Best to read the manual, & call the manufacturer first.

Well I just looked through the manual and it does state that it should be caulked and insulated. I guess because of that I should call the dealer since they did not do that when they installed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.