Insulation types

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I'm planning on adding additional insulation in my attic. Home Depot sells Owens Corning and Lowes sells Johns mandville for $9.97 per roll (R-30 unfaced).
Is either brand better than the other? Has anyone used the Ecotouch that Owens Corning makes?

bsa0021 said:
I'm planning on adding additional insulation in my attic. Home Depot sells Owens Corning and Lowes sells Johns mandville for $9.97 per roll (R-30 unfaced).
Is either brand better than the other? Has anyone used the Ecotouch that Owens Corning makes?

Sorry, no answer to your question. Are you considering blown-in insulation instead of batts? You can blow cellulose over existing insulation. Its easier and more effective.

I am going with neither of those and am using ROXUL. More R value for your buck. Funniest thing is that I have to special order it. All Lowes has in stock is for 2x4 walls??

http://www.roxul.com/home

Semipro said:
bsa0021 said:

Sorry, no answer to you question. Are you considering blown-in insulation instead of batts? You can blow cellulose over existing insulation. Its easier and more effective.

I put rolled insulation in my attic when I first got my house. It was a pain getting it tight so there was no air gap between the batts and trying to get it around the 2x4 it the truss structure. Then every time I stepped on it it moves making more air gaps. Blown in has to be a better way as there are no gaps. And if you get enough from H D they let you use the blower for free.

Billy

I hope not to offend but only a fool would install batts in an attic. There are many reasons to use blown in instead. Even cellulose is better than batts.

Batts are for walls.

Highbeam said:
I hope not to offend but only a fool would install batts in an attic. There are many reasons to use blown in instead. Even cellulose is better than batts.

Batts are for walls.

Nice inoffensive way to word it.

If batts can go between studs, they can go between joists. If being installed in new construction, batts is even easier that blown in - you put it in from underneath before the vapour barrier. I have batts in my attic, but don't consider myself a fool - I don't have a belfry up there so no batts in the belfry.

However, in a retrofit, blown in is indeed easier and the way to go, walls or attic - I did blow in over my batts along the edges/above the walls.

Highbeam said:

Batts are for walls.

I agree if you are just looking to add more insulation depth. Those that put flooring down in the attic are just fine with alternatives.

Semipro said:
bsa0021 said:

Sorry, no answer to your question. Are you considering blown-in insulation instead of batts? You can blow cellulose over existing insulation. Its easier and more effective.

To get back to your original question, maybe I have more insight than I originally thought.

I've used Johns Mansville in the past instead of OC because I found it to be less itchy to work with. They even have a plastic encapsulated version this is good to work with as long as you don't have to cut it. The encapsulation really cuts down on the fibers that fly about and get in your eyes, lungs, ,and skin.

I was talking to a seasoned employee at Home Depot the other day about the new OC Ecotouch and he said he thought it was nicer to work with than were older OC products, less itchy, etc. However, I've yet to work with. I think thet OC is trying to make their product seem more "green" to compete with cellulose, cotton, mineral-wool, and other new products out there.

I've been working on a project lately where I've been removing poorly installed OC Fiberglass (batt and loose) and am miserable because of it. Despite wearing protective gear, I still go to bed itchy every night.

I have blown in insulation filling up to the top of the rafters. I'm going to put batts across the rafters which will be pretty simple. I don't want anymore blown insulation. That stuff makes a mess. I have to do some electrical work in several rooms down the road sometime and I don't want 15" of blown insulation to deal with. I have a lot of work to do on this house and I want to keep a little more heat in the house.

There's the one advantage to batts. They are less messy to move aside and replace if you need to remodel or poke a hole in your ceiling.

I do not buy the story that it is easier to install batts from below than it is to stand there with a hose and blow in fiber on top, of course, there are attics that don't allow enough access to blow in from above such as a vaulted or cathedral ceiling and then you're stuck with batts. Batts will always be inferior in coverage as well since they can't be perfectly cut and since blown in will also cover the ceiling rafters/joists that hold the ceiling up. Batts can never be cut as precisely as fiber which flow into and around the obstructions.

What's a belfry? The net says it is a tower with bells in it. Not many folks have these on their homes in America. Is that a canadian thing?

The other major advantage of blown cellulose (over batts and blown FG) is that it stops convection currents. Supposedly even a small gap between bats kills 50% of your insulation value.

For reference check out the insulation chapter in the Bruce Harley book.

Ther is n o perfect solution for everything. It's better to do something rather than nothing and for me it batts on top of blown.

Status
Not open for further replies.