Insulation where new liner enters existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Matttc

Sep 17, 2022
Wisconsin, USA
hi. I am in the middle of having a Travis Industries large flush wood insert installed into an existing prefab ZC fireplace (just waiting for surround panel to be custom cut).

The manual states, “ to prevent air from passing up the ZC fireplace chimney (the gap between the liner in the chimney) we recommend sealing the area near the damper. Use non-combustible material to seal this area (non-backed fiberglass insulation or kaowool).”

This is an interior chimney.

I’ll check with the installer, too, but I assume the experts here think closing off this gap is a “must-do”?

Also, opinions on plain old non-backed fiberglass insulation vs kaowool?

thank you

038CAAB7-1629-463C-9D27-9B2C83C14622.jpeg

hi. I am in the middle of having a Travis Industries large flush wood insert installed into an existing prefab ZC fireplace (just waiting for surround panel to be custom cut).

The manual states, “ to prevent air from passing up the ZC fireplace chimney (the gap between the liner in the chimney) we recommend sealing the area near the damper. Use non-combustible material to seal this area (non-backed fiberglass insulation or kaowool).”

This is an interior chimney.

I’ll check with the installer, too, but I assume the experts here think closing off this gap is a “must-do”?

Also, opinions on plain old non-backed fiberglass insulation vs kaowool?

thank you

View attachment 300871
What make and model fireplace is the insert being installed in? You need to consult that manual as well

Read item d on page one of your fireplaces manual

Screenshot_20221019-170208.png

Arrgh. My Travis Industries manual says Marco is an acceptable make in which to install the fireplace (didn’t mention specific models). Hmmm…

Arrgh. My Travis Industries manual says Marco is an acceptable make in which to install the fireplace (didn’t mention specific models). Hmmm…
You would need to get blessing from Marco in writing to make it code compliant