Intake on a wood burning insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
Does a wood insert get its air to burn from the room or is it like a direct vent gas insert that gets it from apipe in a pipe.

Thanks john

Most wood inserts are designed to draw their combustion air from the room only. The three Pacific Energy models are the only exception I know about: they draw combustion air through a rectangular opening in the backplate, unless you remove a knockout plate to enable combustion of room air. There is no coaxial pipe available to feed outside air to wood-burners: that product is only available for sealed direct vent gas units and some pellet stoves. For wood-burners, you're not allowed to draw combustion air from the top of the chimney. If you opt to supply outside combution air to a Pacific Energy insert, you'll need to introduce outside air into the firebox directly through one of the sidewalls or backwall (if the fireplace structure is on an outside wall), or up from below through the ash cleanout, if your fireplace has one.

thechimneysweep said:
If you opt to supply outside combution air to a Pacific Energy insert, you'll need to introduce outside air into the firebox directly through one of the sidewalls or backwall (if the fireplace structure is on an outside wall), or up from below through the ash cleanout, if your fireplace has one.

Great answer, thank you. I have seen today that some stoves you can get an outside air kit. How hard would it be to get air from the ash clean out on the bottom of the fireplace? i thought they would of done that seeing how wasteful the fireplace's are.

john

Johnny,

I had the same thought, "Why not use the cold air available from the bottom of the fireplace since it's there already?" It turns out it's just not an issue. (Of course in some circumstances it may be of benefit).

My almost brand new elite 33 (a small break in fire last night, and a medium one this morning) got warm enough this morning for the blower to come on. The heat output is miles ahead of the heatilator type output the insert went into.

derwood said:
Johnny,

I had the same thought, "Why not use the cold air available from the bottom of the fireplace since it's there already?" It turns out it's just not an issue. (Of course in some circumstances it may be of benefit).

My almost brand new elite 33 (a small break in fire last night, and a medium one this morning) got warm enough this morning for the blower to come on. The heat output is miles ahead of the heatilator type output the insert went into.

Do you have a website for the Elite 33?

all of the following are made by travis industries:

avalon perfect fit
extrordiare elite 33
lopi declaration

the box is identical, they all come with blowers, the only difference between the models is the front face plate.

derwood said:
all of the following are made by travis industries:

avalon perfect fit
extrordiare elite 33
lopi declaration

the box is identical, they all come with blowers, the only difference between the models is the front face plate.

Thanks derwood. John

Status
Not open for further replies.