Internet forums falling to southeast Asian hackers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrianK

I was just reading a thread on ArboristSite and it went down hard.

.:: Hacked By rEd X ::.

ondhokarer_rajputra_1353552651_1-red-x.jpg

# Bangladeshi Hacker

Dear ADMIN
! Secure your SITE !

[email protected]

..::| Greetz |::..
.:: x3o-1337 | Gabby | Knight stAr | Dark Knight Sparda | FrEaKy ::.
All Members of 3xp1r3 Cyber Army

Their main forum page appears to be back up but the subforums are still down:

Not Found
The requested URL /firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

It went down while I was reading a thread on the Firewood subforum around 1:00am. I posted a thread here:
Internet forums falling to southeast Asian hackers

It's not actually fully recovered yet and many of the forum sections are still unavailable.

As good a place to post it as any since the forum members that are AS members are primarily active in the Wood Shed.

As good a place to post it as any since the forum members that are AS members are primarily active in the Wood Shed.

Yep - that is exactly why I just moved it to the Inglenook.;lol;lol;lol

(I had to have been moving it while BroB was typing.)

;lol

Maybe I should lock up my firewood:eek:

Bad mouth Chinese saws and splitters and that is what happens....

They seem to be up now... that site was always going down for various reasons though, back when I was over there a lot.

A similar site, TreeWorld.info is gone now. Eric is being sued (deservingly so) and he took the site down for good.

Was up for a bit,down for past 45 minutes or so again.

Looks like they are still fixing the hacks. A lot of the headings are in Spanish there today. Amusing... (looks like the personal settings were all hacked there).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and backup the backups. I used to do daily backups for a military contractor, and I made 2 sets of 8mm data tapes; one stayed in my desk local and one went to a rad hardened storage facility off-site.

As for AS... they use vBulletin, which is a widely used forum tool that has a huge number of sites. As a result are the target of many worldwide hacking efforts (especially in south Asia). I do not know where the AS servers/data storage are hosted from. It could be either a vBulletin or a server farm HW hack. More likely vBulletin, as it seems that there are a lot of potential hacking holes in that SW. They have had a lot of problems on AS over the years, and were typically down for a day to several days periodically in the years that I posted there.

Recent vBulletin hacks in India/Pakistan:

http://thehackernews.com/2013/09/major-vbulletin-based-websites-are.html

Seems to have happened again. Every AS link I try to follow from Google is redirecting to some spam advertising site. I have an extension that hides the ads, but still can't see the page I was trying to get to; I just get an empty screen with a nonfunctional 'skip this ad' button in the corner.

Okay, this one wasn't so hard to deal with. I used a javascript blocker to disable "linkbucks.com" and "dyo.gs" and AS is now functioning normally for me.

Okay, this one wasn't so hard to deal with. I used a javascript blocker to disable "linkbucks.com" and "dyo.gs" and AS is now functioning normally for me.
Huh? Are those new tree species? Never heard of 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.