Intrepid II catalyst temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTstove

Nov 20, 2017
Tolland, CT
Hi All,

Newbie here. I bought a house with a Vermont Castings Intrepid II. Been reading about catalyst operation. Apparently, there should be a temp probe that shows catalyst temp, but I don't see one or even any openings on the back that would allow for this. Do some older ones not have this and I should just wait for the stove to reach 450 degrees before closing the damper, or am I missing something?

Also, the catalyst is structurally sound, but has no metallic color to it. Should I replace?

Thanks.
Chris

You're good. Probe thermometers were an option, but most don't have them.
As long as the cat. is intact, it is probably fine. Definitely get an owner's manual for that stove !!

You're good. Probe thermometers were an option, but most don't have them.
As long as the cat. is intact, it is probably fine. Definitely get an owner's manual for that stove !!

Thanks for the info. I did download a user manual and it describes a catalyst probe. It could be all newer ones have it and my older one did not. As a follow up, let's say the catalyst fails or is damaged. How bad is it to run in the non-catalytic mode with the damper open? In terms of efficiency I realize it is not as good, but will it do any harm to run it this way full time?