Intrepid II primary air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetmech

Dec 8, 2007
Dillsburg PA
Ok all intrepid users heres a question, After 3 good fires in my rebuilt 1303 stove i seem to have much more air on the right side during burning.. especially from cold start. everything else working good after its good and hot. including cat, is it possible the left side air tube is clogged. Can i blow air into primary opening and check for flow through both outlets???. It seems to take a while to recover after loading up also.. Any opinions welcome....

honestly man, if you rebuilt it, you'd probably understand the internals better then anyone.
I htought the air came from one spot, right up top inside the door.

I suppose if it were me. i would first try to put the vaccum hose upto the primary air hole in the back and try to get a good suction.
close the cat by-pass, while the vaccum is running you could light some incense or something in the stove, close the doors and see if you see smoke going back through the air passages, on both sides...
burn again and see if it matters.
if nothing changes, put the leaf blower up to the primary, make sure the stove doors are closed.

Hey MD good to here from you.... .im going to try some low pressure air after fire is out tomorrow.... I will let you know what happens.. The primary air is directed around the bottom of the stove on both sides, If you open the doors look at the bottom corner on both sides the air comes up and past the door glass.

Looking from inside the firebox, check the back right corner of the firebox floor, near the vertical metal tie rod. You should not see daylight. The cement there has a tendency to fail, which then allows air to enter the firebox directly from the primary air inlet, rather than following the passages around the edge of the ash pan.
Those passages are fairly large...not likely they're clogged.
Also, check the two pieces of thin sheet metal on the insides of your doors. They form the final part of the air passages to direct air up across the glass. Those pieces of metal can get bent by wayward logs. If one is pushed in against the door, it could be obstructing some of your air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.