Intrepid II short burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwaterma

Oct 21, 2006
Central Massachusetts
Hello all,

I rebuilt a 1997 (model 1990) Intrepid II before last burn season and am having an issue with short burn times. I've got a 1 year old VC combustor in the stove venting through a t-connector in to a 21' Homesaver SS liner (hearth mounted in a fireplace). I engage the combustor at 450 degrees and have no problem keeping the temp. between 400-500 with the primary air opened half way, but I only get maybe 3 hours of burn time with a full load of seasoned wood. When I start the stove I get a really good draft and it heats right up but doesn't want to burn for long. With the stove top thermometer reading 450, the stove pipe temp. (between the stove and t-connector) is a tad over 300. If I back down the primary air the temp. won't hold above 400. I replaced pretty much all gaskets during the rebuild and the damper door seems to shut tightly.

Thanks for all replies....

Had you used this stove previous to your rebuild so you have a burn time you used to get? I had a Intrepid II 10 years a ago in a different house and I can't remember what kind of burn time i got with it. It's a pretty small firebox isn't it?

Well, stupid question, but what type of wood are you burning?

Also, you should be able to close down the primary air control quite a bit more than halfway to extend those burn times. Are you sure the combustor is lighting off?

I'm burning mostly red oak and maple. I did notice yesterday that when I moved the primary air control to about a quarter of the way open the stove did maintain 450, but it still went through wood pretty quickly. I'm not loading the firebox completely full, but put in 3 to 4 good sized splits (on top of the coals). With the combustor engaged, I see virtually no smoke coming from the chimney, so I'm assuming the cat is firing.

Try loading the stove to the top and when you get the CAT engaged damp the control down all the way and then go back just a bit. (would put you at about 1/4-1/8) See what that does for your burn time. You may get a higher stack temp because the CAT is going to burn all that smoke. Also, you should not see any smoke out the flue.

I did just as you said, and it seems to be working MUCH better!! It's strange... the primary air shutter is actually CLOSED in that position and yet the stove is humming along at 450 (stove top) and 375 (stove pipe) and it's been that way for a while now and the wood is burning MUCH more slowly! I think you've figured it out. Thanks so much!! I must have been overfiring it then I guess. My little Intrepid is purring like a kitten now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.