Intrepid Wood stove assembly questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badhat

Dec 18, 2016
ontario
my buddy just gave me this sweet little stove but the guts were out - all look in good condition. The three bricks are intact. I tried today, at least several hours to put it together without success. The side tubes and the back plate that hold the one brick and cover the other two, was my nightmare not to mention bruised knuckles and scraped fingers. Is there a way to put this in like a step by step. I tried by resting the side tubes in their places then the backplate but that didn t work, then I tried the backplate first but could only get one side tube in, the other just wouldn t go in. is there some pattern to this? anyways any assistance I can get from the folks here will be greatly appreciated. It is an intrepid and not an intrepid II.

OK so it shouldn't be this hard really so I'm guess ing thee may be some old cement on some of the parts? Look closely at the surfaces that will mate and see if they are smooth or if there appears to be something on there. Old cement would be the sqame color as the iron, though softer and should come off with a sharp chisel. BTW, the rear piece and the shoulders should be cemented back in place with furnace cement.

One brick lays flat and must be installed before the back piece goes in. Awkward, yes. The other 2 stand up, one in front of the other, and slip in after te iron parts are in.

Be SURE to install the grate on top of the shoulder pieces BEFORE the cement hardens. This will ensure the shoulders are perfectly positioned, otherwise the grate may not fit when it's go time. ( Don't ask how I know this)

1 more thing: Woodman's Parts Plus' website has an exploded parts drawing which may help to see and envision the whole thing. You have a great stove there, once it's set up you should enjoy the heck out of it!

OK so it shouldn't be this hard really so I'm guess ing thee may be some old cement on some of the parts? Look closely at the surfaces that will mate and see if they are smooth or if there appears to be something on there. Old cement would be the sqame color as the iron, though softer and should come off with a sharp chisel. BTW, the rear piece and the shoulders should be cemented back in place with furnace cement.

One brick lays flat and must be installed before the back piece goes in. Awkward, yes. The other 2 stand up, one in front of the other, and slip in after te iron parts are in.

Be SURE to install the grate on top of the shoulder pieces BEFORE the cement hardens. This will ensure the shoulders are perfectly positioned, otherwise the grate may not fit when it's go time. ( Don't ask how I know this)

1 more thing: Woodman's Parts Plus' website has an exploded parts drawing which may help to see and envision the whole thing. You have a great stove there, once it's set up you should enjoy the heck out of it!
Wow, thanks defiant3, that is one very well detailed and useful response, very appreciated

Yes, back plate first. The air tubes are clunky but, should drop into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.