Intro and Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dlux4life

Aug 19, 2022
Salem, NH
Hi All-

I’m new to the forums! I’ve inherited an older Jotul 3 stove. My grandparents had it in their cabin and used it as their primary heat source. It is a beautiful stove and has a lot of sentimental value.

My wife and I are in the process of redoing our flooring and fireplace and are considering putting in the stove we inherited.

We also have aspirations of replacing the stove with a pellet insert in the next five years. We would be moving the jotul to a four season room to be the primary heat source there. That room has yet to be built (currently a deck off the back of the house). Because of this, I am not really interested in extending my hearth which is currently 20” beyond the front of the firebox.

The stove is a tight fit in the firebox. I’ve had difficulty finding clearance requirements for this type of arrangement. Everything I find references clearances to combustible materials.

Before going down the road of contacting installers, can someone point me in the right direction with understanding the clearance requirements?

The stove would be vented from the top to ensure we have the required 18” of hearth.

707CA96A-69C5-46BE-9E2E-D2C4A5DBB504.jpeg 23F24679-22E2-4722-BBE1-DA6557A72C13.jpeg

Just for fun I’ll add that we’re going with 5” wide engineered walnut floors.

We chose a nice 8” porcelain tile and I managed to find a really nice live edge walnut slab to use as our mantle. The overall design of the fireplace surround is still in the works.

28ACCE42-C5C4-4FD4-AA66-1CFB9AA941F1.jpeg 16307B15-B5FF-4A39-8AE2-DFFC69339DE0.jpeg

Does it have the UL tag on the back? There were several 3 models. I think it’s a CB model.

Look in the manual. For mantel clearance. It’s probably going to be higher than you want. Combustible trim clearance should be there too. You need 16” of protection from the front door outwards. Again consult manual to see if it needs R value if it extended beyond current concrete.

You Will need a full insulated liner. And do yourself a favor and do an insulated blockoff plate before you put the stove in.

And I suggest a blower sitting on the floor behind the stove. I have one.

Yea. I need to cut my damper out. I was planning on an insulated block off plate and a fully insulated liner. What is recommended to use for insulation above the block off plate? Do folks use a high temp silicon around the aluminum sheet to make it more airtight?

I’ll check the manual again to see if I can find anything again on the clearances. They kept the original one. I knew mantel height would have its own clearance, but haven’t put that in yet and can make that work.

I’ll see if I can find more info on the stove too.

With the stove set entirely in the fireplace as shown, there are no clearance issues until a mantel is added. The bar across the window says this is older than an F3CB. I think it may be a 3A or 3C, probably a 3A if no catalyst. There should be a UL label on the back with this information. Here is a shot from the manual.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 2.34.02 PM.png
It's good that you are putting in a block-off plate. Use Roxul or kaowood batt insulation.

This may require a mantel shield. Jotul did sell a fireplace shield for this stove to protect the combustible mantel and trim. This was part 350073, but I don't know if this can be found. If not, one could be fashioned.

Yea, I saw manufacturing dates from 88 while taking the stove apart and cleaning it. Looks like it is 22” for the mantle. That’s about 6” lower than where it was before, so I feel pretty good about that. We have a little flexability with its placement.

2819E1C5-04E1-4CBF-AAF7-B802EA85C3C3.jpeg 8B2FF027-F08A-4ED9-A972-A78BAEB9A693.jpeg image.jpg

Look like you have your clearances documented. I really like that color. It has a more modern feel than than the more recent colors.

And only 22” to the mantel will look great I think.

I also couldn’t find new paper gaskets for the pipe connections on the stove. I ended up shelling out more than I would have liked on this stuff. Anyone here use it before?

image.jpg

Is it cost effective to line a chimney for only a few years of use?
That was one other question I was going to ask. We were looking to put in a pellet insert after a few years. Could we not connect the pellet insert into the insulated piping once used by the wood stove? I’ve seen adapters for it.

Could we not connect the pellet insert into the insulated piping once used by the wood stove? I’ve seen adapters for it.
Yes, that can be done or you can run some 4" flex up the exiting 6" liner.
@D. Hermit will an F3CB flue collar gasket work on a 3TD?

That was one other question I was going to ask. We were looking to put in a pellet insert after a few years. Could we not connect the pellet insert into the insulated piping once used by the wood stove? I’ve seen adapters for it.
Personally stove in the fireplace pellet n the sun room would be my choice. Much cheaper to install a pellet stove out there than the wood stove. But I get the easier running of the pellet for the primary burner.

Personally stove in the fireplace pellet n the sun room would be my choice. Much cheaper to install a pellet stove out there than the wood stove. But I get the easier running of the pellet for the primary burner.
Yea, the stove would be used occasionally in the sun room. Before we go that route, I’ll have to get an installer out to see if the clearances are good. I’m actually out watching the kids swim so I can take a quick picture.

We’d likely need to do a flat roof because of the architecture and slope if the existing roof lines.

There’s a lot of house structure there. Tree would be coming down. We’ve been given estimates of 60k for a simple sun room. It’s about 18’ from the bump out of the house to the edge of the deck.

We may end up having to go the pellet stove route to side vent vs a chimney.

image.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P
Yes, that can be done or you can run some 4" flex up the exiting 6" liner.
@D. Hermit will an F3CB flue collar gasket work on a 3TD?
Technically there is a special gasket that goes on the collar of the 3td. Its in the parts book as -

RING 125779

I would call Jotul and have them inquire about its availability.

In a pinch, you may be able to use some of the flat 8mm gasket, but try Jotul first and see what they say that part number brings up.

Tiles are up. Grout today. Going to be a bit until the trim is installed.

I didn’t realize the rope gaskets needed to be fired. I brought the stove outside and fired it, using the gasket material I bought and no leaks. I’ll check about those gaskets though. I’d much rather use the right parts if possible.

69877A8F-7D5D-48F5-95E2-CBE5E5EABB10.jpeg