Introduction and advice - a tad long...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramcononer

Nov 17, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hello all,
I've been reading all the threads here and have to commend this formum as being one of the best. I use forums for pretty much everything in life and this one is great. A quick thank you to all the previous posters and the great answers as by just reading I have learned so much. Just wanted to introduce myself and run a quick plan by you pro's.

Steve from Long Island, NY with a home at 2000 sq ft. Center hall colonial, interior Masonry fireplace/chimeny. The room where the stove/insert will go is the lowest room on the 1st floor (think sunken den), the stove would be facing a large opening which leads directly to the staircase. The second floor is a center hall with 4 bedrooms and one main bath. The hall is around 12 feet long. The first floor is around 1100 sq ft. Programmable thermostats are located in the room where the stove will be located and in the master bedroom upstairs. New windows, new roof, regular pink insulation on all the exterior walls. I have sealed doorways, etc when a leak is felt. As far as circulation goes, the first floor layout is pretty open and air moves very well. I can cool the entire first floor with a 12,000 btu window air conditioning unit running on low. WHEW....not that that is out of the way...

My plan:
Found a brand new TNC-13i 1500 sq.ft rated Englander insert, WITHOUT blower, but including the faceplate for $300 as a lowes special order return. Hoping to get it today. The goal is to keep the den warm and maybe keep the first floor comfortable as we use oil heat and keep it around 64f to save as much money as possible.

The fireplace/chimney has been inspected and is clean. My plan is to install the insert, build a roxul/plate steel damper block off plate (THANK YOU to the "POOR MANS BLOCK OFF" post). My question is regarding the chimney liner. I can get non insulated stove pipe for inexpensive. It is the black rigid kind from lowes - 6". Will this be sufficient for the liner? or should I choose SS Flex? What about the cap? Do I just bring the new liner up to "just below" the existing rain cap??

Again thank you all for your help and recommendations. As a side note, I cant offer burning advice as of yet, but I have been a landscaper for years, have been an auto mechanic, amatuer cook, ladies man, and Financial analyst...(joking about the ladies man thing...) I would be glad to share any knowledge...Thanks!!

Welcome Steve. Good questions. Black stove pipe is strictly a connector, it is not for lining. You want a stainless liner in the chimney. It can be flex or rigid depending on the installation. For a new installation you can either get a kit that includes the top cap or not. It depends on what is up there. At the top you'll want to stuff more insulation around the liner, then seal it in with a top plate that is siliconed sealed to the chimney or clay flue tile. The liner will be attached to this top cap. If the chimney has no clay liner then the ss liner will need to be insulated as well.

Welcome to the forum Steve !!!!!

First and foremost, stove pipe and chimney liner are 2 different animals. I would strongly reccomend NOT using stove pipe as a chimney liner. Good move with the block off plate, that will keep more of the heat in the envelope. As far as chimney caps, I am not even gong to try to go there. I have an external chimney, not a lined masonary, so I will let the other experts chime in on this one.

Shawn

WOW, that was some fast replies.

The link below pretty much shows my current setup. I was wondering if I just needed to install the liner to the top of the chimney?? I looked at the top plate..looks like I can use that and put my existing cap over it...?????? Thanks again...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...00316573?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters-_-Heater, Stove + Fireplace Accessories-_-177441&ci_sku=177441&ci_gpa=pla&ci;_kw={keyword}

The liner will typically extend past the top plate. You will want to top it off with some type of cap. I would suggest a rigid liner if that will work for you. If it is an internal chimney, insulating it is not quite as important as if it were an external, but what the heck, do it right the first time and insulate that sucker.

Edit: as far as the stove and your house config - I would bet you are probably in the right ball park for stove size. The reason I say this is that I doubt that you would get any stove to heat your whole house effectively so "right" sizing it for supplemental for the area that it is installed becomes the important part. Just my opinion.

And welcome to the forum.

You should get the blower if possible. You may be able to order it separately from Englander. Flush-face inserts don't put out a lot of heat without them.

I will definately get the blower. I am still not 100% sold on an insert as the englander NC13 free standing unit would fit very nice in the fireplace too....I think I could get more heat out of that unit but the wife likes the look of an insert. Thanks for the advice on the chimney liner. I will try to find a rigid peice.

As far as the liner sticking out above the top plate, I can use the current cap I would assume? Thanks again all. Great forum...can't wait to show pics of the install...

At that price you could try the insert for a year and if you don't like it probably sell it for more that you paid for it! Besides, if you go with what the wife likes, she can't complain about it. :lol: I have a slightly smaller insert in a slightly smaller house (1900 sf) and it does exactly what you describe--keeps the living room warm (we don't have a den) and the first floor comfortable.

Yea, if wifey ain't happy......well you know how that goes. Plan to put an electric heater upstairs to cut down on oil.... luckily being in landscaping part time, I come across a lot of free oak....I just need to learn how to split logs like a man, with an axe or wedge/sledge.....

And a quick welcome to the forum.

Well a few updates, so we went to get the NC13i Insert but first stopped off to look at a few other models. Well, wifey saw what the Vermont Castings Merrimack was all about and she said she doesn't want the NC13i....Keep in mind the VC stove was in a beautiful surrond, has a huge viewing area etc....so my thrift heating solution just increased 10X literally. I hate my life. Now I need to figure out how to come up with the $$$$....hello overtime.

"but first stopped off to look at a few other models". That was your first mistake. :lol: Maybe you can sell the NC13i as a temporary solution for this year while you save up for the Merrimack.

*Hangs Head in shame
Im not even allowed to buy it now.......(well I can buy it but I'd get sass from the Italian princess)
I will be going on 5 years married and have learned that I need to pick my battles...if she thinks the other one is "prettier", no use in even buying to try and sell...

Any other good looking inserts with a decent sized veiwing area? I have a pretty large opening so I can fit a variety of models in the fireplace. Over 36" wide, 27" Hight and 25"+ Deep..

Status
Not open for further replies.