IR Gun readings???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Ok I just picked up a Ryobi TEK4 IR gun from HD for 69 bucks. I have the stove running for about an hour and a half
room temp on thermostat (wall) is 77*. I actually confirmed that with the IR gun aimed at the end of the probe. The probe is located about 3.5-4' off the ground.
I first tried bending a metal "T" and putting that in the middle of the hot air coming from the stoves blower. It seemed real high so I figured it was being skewed by touching the stove (needed gloves to remove, that hot). I then put an empty quart (Paint can never used) 4" in front of the stove, and within a few minutes it reached a little over 500*! I could not touch it!
I also hit the middle of the heat exchangers right above the firepot and got 550* with the actual firepot at 490*.
I decided to go to the back of the stove and get a measurement there as well (exhaust side/bottom) was 200-205.
Then I decided to hit the removable plate (access for ignitor) and that was 280*

I am all over the place and not sure how to get the actual heat coming from the blower to the room....however, I can not leave my hand in front of the blower (4") for more then a couple of seconds! So I know it is hot!

I am burning half and half (Lignetic hardwood and treecycle). I will do the same when burning each later....I just got lazy last night and put the treecycle pale I had next to the stove in with the ligs and swished them around.

Any thoughts on better doing this would be great! See ya....

You do realize that an IR thermometer will read reflected surface temperatures and not air temps. If you are trying to determine convection air temps then you need a different instrument. This subject has been covered in several other threads. A digital meat thermometer works well and is inexpensive. Pick a spot in front of the heat exchanger and have fun.

I point mine at the same spot on the air grille where the heat output blower exhausts into the room. I don't care so much what I'm measuring or how, just that it is always done using the same air/feed settings and consistently at the same spot for the purpose of comparing pellet brands. Last years Lignetics from Idaho run about 340, Eastern Embers about 250, and just tried 2 bags of Maine Woods from Athens, lucky to get 200 (all degrees farenheit)

Status
Not open for further replies.