is 3 month old wood dried 3 days in kiln "seasoned"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

elasticman

Nov 19, 2018
just bought 2 cords from a guy who advertised it as "seasoned" and paid seasoned rates. I asked "is it dry"? The kid driving the truck told me it had been cut 3 months ago and put in a kiln for 2 or 3 days to dry it out. Just started a fire and the moisture is bubbling out the end of the logs.

Tried to facebook message the dude and he is not responding.

Did I get hosed?

You got hosed. Luckily I havent needed to buy wood the past couple years, but when I did, I always checked a few pieces with my moisture meter before paying.

Moisture meter readings?? Maybe the forum should have a sticky on "how to buy firewood" so others can avoid this fate.

Sorry man you got hosed.

Funny this comes up. Last year there was a logging operation next to me done by a Mennonite outfit where by the stuff they cut for firewood was taken to a "portable" tent like structure which I think was a kiln down the road. Less than a year old and they are selling firewood from there. Sure water/sap would bubble out like above. Maybe this is the "thing" now? Kevin

just bought 2 cords from a guy who advertised it as "seasoned" and paid seasoned rates. I asked "is it dry"? The kid driving the truck told me it had been cut 3 months ago and put in a kiln for 2 or 3 days to dry it out. Just started a fire and the moisture is bubbling out the end of the logs.

Did I get hosed?

Dude.. you just got beat.. you dont take anyone's word for it.. a 20 doller moisture meter would have saved you ton of headache.. you have wet unseasoned wood at a premium price..

What has happened is that the wood has dried on the outside but not on the inside. To test moisture bring a couple thick splits indoors and let them come up to room temp. Then split them in half and test right away on the freshly exposed face on wood. Push the pins deep into the wood to get a good reading. If it is >20% it's not fully seasoned. If it's >25% it's too wet to burn.

what should the moisture meter read for "seasoned" wood?

I would except nothing higher than 20%mc on a fresh split.. that you split.. grab a pice split it... put mm on fresh split side and take reading.. do not read the outside of split or the end of a split.. also check the wood and ask questions. Is it all harwoods or mixed check to see how much is oak, or the higher BTU wood

But how much did you pay, If that's not too much to ask.

I just had some "seasoned" wood delivered yesterday. They said it was sitting around split for a year or so but just uncovered in piles. Kind of junky looking stuff too. I tested a few pieces and they all seemed to be in the high 20's for moisture content. I was pretty pissed because I already have some wood but it isn't dry enough so my purpose here was to buy ready to burn wood. I think what I got was the bottom of the pile.

Anyway, I argued with the guy for a bit and gave him $150/cord. Not a terrible deal in the end i think.

Last edited:
Reactions: hickoryhoarder

Did I get hosed?

yep. youre out 2 cords for the year. happened to me recently. the guy picked a couple logs out of his truck for me to test. averaged 17-20%. once he left i tested other pieces and they were all 30 and above. i dont know how these people legally stay in business. the only way to really do it is to buy wood and know it wont be ready till next year.

im having a load delivered in a few hours. they said it was stacked since 2016 and covered. we'll find out. i have my meter with me. if the pieces that I CHOOSE arent 20 or under im telling them to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it really was in a kiln that long it would be dry, only way to test it for sure is with a moisture meter.

But how much did you pay, If that's not too much to ask.

I just had some "seasoned" wood delivered yesterday. They said it was sitting around split for a year or so but just uncovered in piles. Kind of junky looking stuff too. I tested a few pieces and they all seemed to be in the high 20's for moisture content. I was pretty pissed because I already have some wood but it isn't dry enough so my purpose here was to buy ready to burn wood. I think what I got was the bottom of the pile.

Anyway, I argued with the guy for a bit and gave him $150/cord. Not a terrible deal in the end i think.

$250 a cord is the going rate in central MA :(

yep. youre out 2 cords for the year. happened to me recently. the guy picked a couple logs out of his truck for me to test. averaged 17-20%. once he left i tested other pieces and they were all 30 and above. i dont know how these people legally stay in business. the only way to really do it is to buy wood and know it wont be ready till next year.

im having a load delivered in a few hours. they said it was stacked since 2016 and covered. we'll find out. i have my meter with me. if the pieces that I CHOOSE arent 20 or under im telling them to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just had my wood delivered. massive load of wood but looks pretty good. when i pulled out the moisture meter the guy got mad and started spewing off how come i dont believe him. i told him im measuring the wood or its no deal. he keeps going off about how NO one ever questioned him. so i pulled out my splitter haha to check. runs at 20%. should be good enough for the winter.

next year... im processing ALL my wood from my own trees. no more dealing with people who want $1000 but then complain when you want to check to be sure youre getting what you paid for.

$250 a cord is the going rate in central MA :(

Down here in VA I'm getting quotes as high as $390 a cord for "seasoned" not kiln dried. Half the places I called said they were out of wood all together.

Some knucklehead started a rumor that this is going to be a bad winter so I think everyone is freaking out a bit buying up all the wood.

Reactions: Jotel me this
just had my wood delivered. massive load of wood but looks pretty good. when i pulled out the moisture meter the guy got mad and started spewing off how come i dont believe him. i told him im measuring the wood or its no deal. he keeps going off about how NO one ever questioned him. so i pulled out my splitter haha to check. runs at 20%. should be good enough for the winter.

next year... im processing ALL my wood from my own trees. no more dealing with people who want $1000 but then complain when you want to check to be sure youre getting what you paid for.

Are you saying that your going to burn your own wood next yeat

Down here in VA I'm getting quotes as high as $390 a cord for "seasoned" not kiln dried. Half the places I called said they were out of wood all together.

Some knucklehead started a rumor that this is going to be a bad winter so I think everyone is freaking out a bit buying up all the wood.

$390 what a ripoff. these people know how to scam people out of their money very well.

i already started cutting wood several months ago and will continue to add throughout the entire winter. ill burn this next year as long as the moisture is under 20%. why?

The depending on the type of wood, the wood you CSS in the spring of 18 may be ready.. as long as it was CSS prior to summer. The wood that your going to work on over the winter probably not, that being said your most likely going to be shot unless what you already processed is what you would burn in a full season. If that is the case (your short on wood) you need to purchas more wood that is seasoned now for next year and start processing for the following season

The depending on the type of wood, the wood you CSS in the spring of 18 may be ready.. as long as it was CSS prior to summer. The wood that your going to work on over the winter probably not, that being said your most likely going to be shot unless what you already processed is what you would burn in a full season. If that is the case (your short on wood) you need to purchas more wood that is seasoned now for next year and start processing for the following season

possible ill be short. in another question of mine i worked out that i have a ton of standing dead trees which will be faster to dry.

if i cut and stack by January, thats 11 months of drying time. wood actually dries faster in the winter so thats 3-4 months of that.

i can even split them into smaller pieces to make the drying faster.

thoughts?

possible ill be short. in another question of mine i worked out that i have a ton of standing dead trees which will be faster to dry.

if i cut and stack by January, thats 11 months of drying time. wood actually dries faster in the winter so thats 3-4 months of that.

thoughts?
Start a solar kiln as some of us do.

Reactions: Jotel me this

thoughts?

Wood dose not dry faster in the winter months. It actually slows .. right now evaporation has slowed

Dont be fooled by standing dead wood, i'v seen standing dead oak well over a year mesure in the mid 30MC. The seasoning process truly doesn't start untill its split

Splitting small is a mistake as you want a variety of wood to burn, small, medium, and large. Split it all small and your next complaint will be your burning a ton of wood and your burn times stink. You need some fat wood for long or overnight burns. Below is a pick of some over night or long burning wood
20181130_165943.jpg
20181130_165949.jpg