is 3 month old wood dried 3 days in kiln "seasoned"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wood dose not dry faster in the winter months. It actually slows .. right now evaporation has slowed

Dont be fooled by standing dead wood, i'v seen standing dead oak well over a year mesure in the mid 30MC. The seasoning process truly doesn't start untill its split

Splitting small is a mistake as you want a variety of wood to burn, small, medium, and large. Split it all small and your next complaint will be your burning a ton of wood and your burn times stink. You need some fat wood for long or overnight burns. Below is a pick of some over night or long burning woodView attachment 234437 View attachment 234438

well arent you a bundle of positivity :p

its impossible to say with certainty that wood dries faster in summer because youre not taking into account RH. what about humid summers? that wood isnt going to dry very well.

ill cut down the dead wood and see what it reads. people in here say to only use the top of the tree.. not the entire thing.

Yes, i dont know why i said faster. i meant that it does dry in the winter. its very common for companies which dry massive amounts of wood to use dehumidifiers which actually cool the air. its called dehumidification kilns.

ill see how it goes. will be interesting.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
$250 a cord is the going rate in central MA :(

That’s not too bad. Up here in southern nh green cords are 250-300. Maybe you could grab some bio bricks or some other type of compressed log to burn this winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yikes! That is a lot of work just to dry wood. I almost bought a pellet stove because I am sick of stacking/splitting/moving my wood piles around :(
The Poindexter way is a lot of work yes, but it can be done much simpler. And you can dry oak over the simmer instead of 2-3 years. I started my first one very simplistic in June at 38% MC and it was 18% in October. Off the ground under 6 mil plastic not covering the wood is a good start. But again there are more experienced members here and they posted about it.

yikes! That is a lot of work just to dry wood. I almost bought a pellet stove because I am sick of stacking/splitting/moving my wood piles around :(

Its actually not alot of work. If it is then you need to improve your setup. I split all of my wood and stack it in my shed and never touch it untill i need it.. that doesn't sound like lots of work.. i Handel my wood once.. that's it.. i can dry my wood in a kiln, leave in in the racks and then to the house, again only handling it once prior to burning and once to the seasoning process. I season all of my wood in a shed.. at one point i was sitting on 14 cord CSS i cut it down to 9 cord CSS due to the fact if i get short i can season my oak in 4 months. I can cut it in april/may and its sub20%MC by august.. the solar kiln is easy.. the sun does all the work for you..

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink

dont get me started. "itll be EASIER" i told the misses ITLL BE LESS WORK.. i told the misses

"but i love how romantic real wood stoves feel" she told me.

now im here bothering you guys with how to heat my house because she couldnt handle throwing a bag of pellets into a set it and forget it pellet stove

;hm;sick

oh wow thanks! ill research this. do you have one or interested in doing one?
I've come close to ordering it several times when it goes on sale. Never pulled the trigger, because I just don't have a great place to put it currently. Once I have a few trees taken down, I'll have a spot. I figure if I can get 5 years out of it, it'd definitely be worth it. Then, I think you can buy just the cover for considerably less.

The Poindexter way is a lot of work yes, but it can be done much simpler. And you can dry oak over the simmer instead of 2-3 years. I started my first one very simplistic in June at 38% MC and it was 18% in October. Off the ground under 6 mil plastic not covering the wood is a good start. But again there are more experienced members here and they posted about it.

so where do i find these posts in here?

what did you mean by "6 mil plastic not covering the wood is a good start"... whats the plastic for if not covering the wood?

i feel like i could make this out of PVC pipes! hmmmmm the possibilities.......
I've considered this as well. Some folks use arched hoop houses with clear plastic used in the nursery business with great success. For $300, it just wouldn't be worth trying to reinvent the wheel.

I've come close to ordering it several times when it goes on sale. Never pulled the trigger, because I just don't have a great place to put it currently. Once I have a few trees taken down, I'll have a spot. I figure if I can get 5 years out of it, it'd definitely be worth it. Then, I think you can buy just the cover for considerably less.

very nice. i mean if i really wanted to rough it, looking at the manual, i could cut down 15 3" trees, use the straight shots as the frame, and put 6 mil plastic over it. ooOoooooo.

So these dont need any sort of electric fan to blow the air around?

I know the feeling of getting hosed. I paid $230 for 2 cords of "seasoned" ash and elm last year it was like 95% ash. the elm burnt great but the ash hissed like a mad tabby cat when it went into the stove. I was out of wood so I burnt it anyway. Had to clean my chimney every 4 or 5 days.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

so where do i find these posts in here?

what did you mean by "6 mil plastic not covering the wood is a good start"... whats the plastic for if not covering the wood?
The plastic is for letting the wood sweat in the sun. If the plastic touches the wood, the moisture drips back into the wood. Not touching the wood allows the moisture run down the inside of the plastic back into the ground. I meant to say touching, not covering.

Reactions: Jotel me this
if i can make one for $100 and have $200 left over for beer i would gladly reinvent anything
I know how you feel. But, good luck building something of this size that won't collapse in the snow or wind for much less. Holds 7 cords. Quick and dirty. More time for the beer.

They also have one half the size for about $200. Not saying it can't be done, but unless you are scavenging the materials, the $$$ add up fast. 6 mil plastic unsupported won't last long.

Last edited:
I built a 48 feet rack system out of free pallets, the 6 mil plastic was $60. That was it. The plastic comes in a roll of 200x 20 feet.

I also built a 8x4x7 shed out of free pallets.
I missed the pictures. Link to the threads would be more than adequate.