Is a 15yo Quadrafire 3100I a decent stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I am not sure when things are EPA approved and all. But looking forward to the possible sale of my Hearthstone II tomorrow, I am in the market for a good insert. You all have steered me away from some possible loser inserts in the past, but how about this one?
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/for/973595258.html
I would like a new one instead, but can't afford it... this one I can.

Just a personal opinion, but I'd be leary of a 15 year old heater. It very well may be okay but you would have to check it out really good. On the other hand, always remember that you are working with fire. You do not want any chance of that thing getting away from you else you could lose your home or worse.

The seller doesn't even know what they are talking about... Its not cast iron, its probably also not 15 years old (it could be though). It looks like it has the air wash and secondary combustion stuff in there but th pics are not very good or at the right angle. The baffle plate on those old units was made of steel or firebricks and they used a 1" thick kaowool blanket on top of that. The steel baffle plate is VERY hard to get in / out FYI. I had to replace someone insulation blanket once and it was very not fun.

Looks to be in good shape. I would guess it's about 10 years old. I see no blower in the picture. If it's not included and you think you'll want one ( I sure would) then you might want to price one out.

Overall I think their price seems good.

MarkG

Could you email and ask him to snap a pic id the ID plate and forward t to you? That 'should' give you enough info to chase the particulars, eve if you had to contact Quad, right?

Good points, thanks to all. You are right, where are the blowers I wonder? Looks like they are supposed to go in there in a bay-window shape. Huh. Will have to enquire further - thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.