Is a little bit of smell normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys, just wondering about this. When starting our pellet stove, before the pellets ignite, the firebox fills with smoke, which seems normal. Within a minute of igniting the smoke is gone.

However, for the first 5 min or so, I can smell a bit of that smoky smell when standing within 5 feet of the stove. It dissipates after a few minutes, and then I just smell the normal, hot metal smell I usually notice and enjoy.

Just curious, is that normal? I thought these were air tight but ours is old (10 years) and the previous owners did not take care of this thing sadly...

I've looked inside behind the stove and sealed with high temp caulk any joints that look open. No smoke visually, just the smell.

Thanks for the input!

Mine does that too. It's never been a problem.

Awesome, thanks bud

Reactions: jzm2cc
So the vent is siliconed and tight but I wrapped it in high temp foil tape tonight so we'll see if that helps. Thanks!

Hey guys, just wondering about this. When starting our pellet stove, before the pellets ignite, the firebox fills with smoke, which seems normal. Within a minute of igniting the smoke is gone.

However, for the first 5 min or so, I can smell a bit of that smoky smell when standing within 5 feet of the stove. It dissipates after a few minutes, and then I just smell the normal, hot metal smell I usually notice and enjoy.

Just curious, is that normal? I thought these were air tight but ours is old (10 years) and the previous owners did not take care of this thing sadly...

I've looked inside behind the stove and sealed with high temp caulk any joints that look open. No smoke visually, just the smell.

Thanks for the input!

I often get a bit of smoky smell on start-up. Nothing major, typically for me it comes from the pipe. Mine vents into a flue, once everything is warm in a few minutes then no smell at all.