Is a wood stove practical if you work full-time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

overhear

Apr 25, 2011
I am new to this forum so I hope you don't mind my asking a question:

I've never had a wood stove, so I'm hoping someone can fill me in on whether they are practical for people who are out a lot during the day. We are renovating an 1800 sq-ft brick house built around 1900. The house has mantles in the living room and bedrooms where old coal boxes used to be, but no working fireplace. Since we have a fairly new furnace and my husband and I both work full-time outside the home, I'm not planning to use a wood stove as a primary heat source. That said, I've been pining away for a stove for my 250 sq ft kitchen. For me, the attraction is the beauty of the stove and the fire. Also, because my husband likes the house much colder than I do, I'm hoping that having a local heat source will give me a cozy place to warm up.

I'm wondering: Even with the smallest stoves (Morso Squirrel or Jotul 602) will the room overheat? To avoid overheating the room, will we be running the stove so low that we'll waste lots of fuel or never see the flame? I am not big on gas and fake logs, but also don't want to install a wood stove and not get to use it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I think a wood stove is still very practical if you work all day. However, I think it is important to put the stove in a good spot - a location where the heat will be welcome, not overpowering. Also, I think a very small stove is much less practical than a large one because it requires a lot more attention - more frequent reloads, more restarts, gives heat for a shorter time, etc.

I think the downside to wood stoves are: a. handling the wood supply; b. minding the stove. The wood supply requires a certain amount of work, even if you buy wood. It requires stacking, moving into the house, etc. I don't mind the work, many on this forum also don't mind, but it is work. Minding the stove is sometimes fun, but if you have to do it every two hours or the fire goes out (small stove) the fun wears out.

So, my suggestion is that you consider a larger stove in a location that will allow the heat to spread around the house. Wood stoves will heat the stove room very well, but other rooms to a lesser degree, leaving lots of cool spots for your husband to hang out.

Ah. That makes a lot of sense, especially if the wood stove is your main heat source. To have supplemental heat and a fire to enjoy in the evenings, would the smaller stoves burn long enough?

I work full time and have been successfully eating our house entirely on wood for 9yrs now. Just get a big enough stove that can burn long enough to make 24/7 a reality. I wouldn't worry too much about over heating. Unless you are trapping the heat in a 250sqft room you'll be fine.

Once you have a good routine starting daily fires is not much work at all. I did more times than I care to recall in my old fisher.

There is no problem at all w/ a small stove for ambiance in my mind. If you overheat your little room then open a window! It shouldn't take much wood to "play" around with for a winter w/ evening and weekend fires. The only downfall to a small stove is it needs more frequent refills and cannot heat as large of a space.

My biggest recommendation is to buy your wood NOW if you are certain you will be starting this winter. You can even buy it now and have it on hand as it will still by fine for the following winter so long as it's not stacked straight on the ground. The most frustrating part of the first year for any person new to wood burning is having to deal w/ unseasoned wood (VERY rare to get truly seasoned wood from any seller). Make sure that wood is seasoned on your own and you'll be far ahead of the game no matter whether you choose to keep just that small area warm or try for something bigger.

pen

Woodstoves in general work fine for people who work full time. There are some considerations in your case. You're looking at a very small stove to heat a small area, so you won't be able to load a lot of wood in it for a long burn time. I used to have an Upland stove that was basically like the Jotul 602, and it would hold a fire overnight but not with a lot of heat output. Since this is not your primary source of heat, that would be acceptable. The other consideration is convenience. Since you don't need a lot of heat for a small area like that, a gas stove would be more convenient and not burn a lot of gas. If you love burning wood and don't mind the extra work that goes with it, then the woodstove would make sense.

I have an insert and work full time, my wife used to, when we were both working it was easy to get it going in the morning (a 10 or 15 min chore) then get ready and go to work 30 min later. Reload when we got home and ran it all evening with a reload before bed. Repeat until spring.

Worked great, saved a ton in heating that way. She is now home all day which makes it even better! A small fan to circulate the air is very helpful!

And also forget t that the word "seasoned" even exists. There is dry and not dry wood.

Get you a stove to heat the kitchen area and see how wood burning fits your lifestyle. Then if you want to become one of us rabid 24/7 ain't gonna heat this joint with anything but wood types then you can do it. At a minimum you will cut down on the utility bills with the heat from the stove in the kitchen and have the warmth of wood to compare with your other heat source.

Don't be surprised when everybody starts spending a lot of time in the kitchen.

Hay, OH, welcome to the forums ..always nice to see a new Sistah :)

In my opinion, wood heat is practical if you work all day. I do and my daughter does with the other stove at the other end of the house. Works for us :)

Getting your wood now is the best advice. BUT, if I were you, I'd look for a bigger stove. Odds are once you start, you'll be looking for more heat than you'd get from a smaller stove. Just alittle early enabling logic for ya ;-P

Been heating 1500 sq ft 24/7, Oct to May non stop for 10+ years. No body home during the day except the dog and he refuses to load the stove LOL. Go for it, you won't regret it.........................

250 SF is small....but you also need to consider how connected this space is to the rest of the house when choosing a stove size. You might end up heating more than just the one room. Depends on layout, use of fans, etc. Don't oversize because you hear this push for "24/7". Full blast with a small stove is better than low temp fires in an oversized stove.

I burn only nights and weekends with a small stove....weekdays every fire is a cold start at about 7pm, gets fed a couple times before 11pm, and generally is just a few embers or cold by 6 am. Because of this supplemental wood heat, I got only one oil delivery this winter.

Good luck. Do lots of searches and reading on the forums. You'll learn a lot that'll help you decide what to do.

My dad was used 100% for wood from 1919 (when he was born) until the 1940’s. Then the family used gas. I am 60 and I never used wood to heat my house for wood but I did used gas for about 95% for my heat and I used for wood so I could see the fireplace. All of that changed last year. My home is about a 1200 sq feet house and I got a used Avalon Insert. We live in Houston. Last year we used about 95% for wood to heat our home. When it was in 20 outside degrees we could still keep the house in 80 degrees and the gas never kicked in. If it is in the 20 degrees area I do have to stoke the insert with more wood and add more wood every about 4 hours so we can keep warm. I will not use the insert if it’s over 60 degrees outside, it is too hot. My wife hates the cold – she has arthritis bad and her bones aches. I have a 250 gallon propane tank and I read the dial in November and it said about 72%. Today the dial says it said 42%. We still use hot water and the oven. I think it costs me about $30.00 a chord to keep the fire working using the insert (the chains the gas the oil and the filters and the etc.) and last year we used about 3 chords. Doing the math, I think we saved about $1,500.00 last year. I do own my land and I have a chainsaw and I have a log splitter. The only gripe I have is that I was not carefully last month and I tripped it over the log splitter and it cost about $300.00 for the tongue and the other parts I messed up (got an used Huskee log splitter 35 ton for $850.00) I paid about $3,000.00 for all of the stuff so I could use wood and I think I will get even next year (unless I mess up the tools again).

Wood is great IF you can get the wood, the tools and the labor AND when the tools break, you can pay for that too.

The “free†heat is priceless.

My two cents.

Robert

Check out this thread on a nice Hampton H200 installed in a kitchen. If you scroll down a bit in the thread you will see some really nice pictures of the install. The firebox is 1.34 cu. ft. which is pretty small. You may also want to check out the H300. A little bigger at 1.7 cu. ft. Both really good looking stoves in my opinion.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/71926/

I don't think you will overheat your room. As others have mentioned, your floor plan will help determine how warm the room gets. I have a good sized insert in a room thats about 360 sq. ft. with only one 30" door way leading out. I have no trouble keeping the room a comfortable 72-74ish using fans to move the air to other rooms.

You also mention that your house was built in 1900. How's the insulation, doors, windows, etc? That will all effect your ability to heat or over heat the room the stove is in.

Good luck!

You can do it. My PE has been running 24/7 during the heating season for the last 5 years, and until 2 years ago, nobody was home during the day. Yes, you may come home to a house that has a chill to it on the really cold days, but a quick restart and the chill is gone within 20 minutes - it is just the air that is cool, not the house. I think I ran my oil burner a grand total of 16 hours this year, and that was mainly just to bring it up to temp to make sure it still worked every few months.
Heating 100% with wood takes a lot of work and it is not for everyone, but once you get "hooked", you can't imagine heating any other way. Best of luck.

My wife and I both work at least 50 hours a week and haven't had a furnace for 6 years. It was a hassle mid-winter with out first stove, but our current stove that is twice the size and has a thermostat has made it very doable. We started 3 fires total this year including lighting the first late September.

overhear said:
I am new to this forum . . .
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Random thoughts . . .

First off . . . welcome to the forum . . . I think you'll find most folks here are pretty friendly and will offer you good advice . . . unless you catch us on an off day and ask us whether dousing your firewood with water will make the wood burn better . . . in which case we may act and sound like a pack of rabid dogs chasing a hobbled rabbit.

To answer your question . . . many of us use woodstoves as either the sole or primary source of heat in our home and a good number of us are working stiffs or just plain busy . . . there's not many home bodies who just sit at home all winter long and keep stoking the firebox . . . heck even the retirees keep plenty busy out of the house . . . so yes . . . you can run . . . safely run . . . a woodstove and heat your home for many hours and leave your home. I mean to say, you can't turn off the oil furnace or gas boiler and go away to Aruba on a two week vacation and expect your woodstove to keep the place toasty warm . . . and most folks will tell you that in all honesty as the hours tick down the house will get cooler -- a lot depends on the weather, your house construction, type of woodstove, etc. -- I think it would be safe to say that many folks get 4-10 hours of decent heat out of their woodstoves.

Normally I would recommend going with a larger woodstove and heating the whole house -- while it may get warm in the room with the stove the further away from the stove you are the cooler it becomes . . . even though using a fan to help move the heat helps regulate the temps to a degree so that it isn't 97 degrees in one room and 58 degrees two or three rooms over. However, since it sounds as though you are simply looking for occasional heat and want the beauty of a wood fire I would say your plan is probably sound . . . although I would not be surprised if down the road you decide to upgrade and get a larger stove to heat the entire house.

Heating a smaller space with a smaller stove means you will not be getting those all day burns . . . or all night burns . . . you will need to load a little more often, but the trade off is you get a nice, warm comfortable place to hang out . . . assuming of course this is where you plan to spend a lot of your time since generally it is recommended to put the stove where you spend the bulk of your time since this is where it will be the warmest . . . typically folks put stoves in their living rooms or great rooms or even their not-so-great great rooms . . . but there have been more than a few folks who have put them in the kitchen.

With a smaller stove you'll need smaller wood -- which is fine . . . and as stated you will need to reload more often. I don't suspect you'll light a fire in the evening and find a whole lot of -- if any -- coals in the morning to do a relight . . . or you will relight in the morning and come home from work to find much heat coming off the stove. That said . . . lighting a fire is a learned skill that once mastered is a relatively easy affair -- many folks can offer advice on the different methods (I like the top down method), kindling choice (many folks here absolutely love Super Cedars, others like fatwood and others make their own fire starters or just use kindling) and in short order you'll learn how to get your stove going from no heat to pumping out heat in 30-45 minutes.

As others have said . . . if you choose to go with this plan . . . get your wood now . . . better yet build a time machine and get your wood last year . . . waiting until Fall to buy so-called seasoned wood may prove to be a frustrating disappointment and an excercise in futility as the newer woodstoves offer great views, longer burning times and fantastic heat and less wood consumption -- but the trade off is they all need very dry (i.e. well seasoned) wood. Most folks suggest wood should be cut, split and stacked for 9-12 months prior to use . . . some of us have found that wood seasoned longer works as good if not better.

Overheating . . . it's possible you may over-heat the small space . . . although picking the right size woodstove will help . . . also bear in mind that unless you completely close off the area some of the heat will move out to the rest of the house . . . and if you use a fan (regular old table fan set on the floor pointing towards the woodstove) you can help move off even more heat and help moderate the temp in the room with the stove. If all else fails you can always open a window for a bit.

I suspect many of us have overheated our homes on occasion -- especially when we're first starting out and don't understand how to really run our stoves --not knowing why it is important to know the forecasted temps for the day, loading too much wood, loading too often, etc. In time you will learn and be able to run a stove comfortably and will not overheat the place or run the stove so that it gunks up your chimney. For example, burning now . . . I burn less often, smaller loads and use my "junk" wood to quickly warm up the place . . . fire is nice to look at, I burn cleanly and the heat radiates and heats the place for hours.

Final thought . . . I don't think you'll be able to light the stove, leave the house and come back to a toasty warm room 8 hours later . . . but I think a small woodstove would heat the place pretty quickly . . . and honestly . . . while it is more work in terms of mess . . . there is just something about those dancing flames, smell of woodsmoke outside and the heat that is incomparable.

Welcome to the forum overhear.

For me I work 10+ hour days and easily able to heat my 2K house with the stove I have.
Most bigger stoves in the 3 cuft range will give you around 10-12 hour burn time with plenty left over for restart.

If you are looking for a small stove that does not put out massive amounts of heat but maintains its temp my suggestion would to go with soapstone as it can retain heat and you will not bake yourself out of the house with it.

But, I do have to warn you if you do go with a small stove you will not be able to heat your entire house with it.
When I first got a wood stove I went with a small Drolet that was rated up to 1.5K, my original purpose was to raise the temp in the basement to help with heating the house. Since it was small I had to run that thing about 650 and had to re-load every 2-3 hour to just maintain 70 in the basement. When I bought the TL-300, my gas bill went from $650 (avg) a month down to around $500 a year. Stove paid for itself in a year.

So much fantastic advice! Now I'm dying to get started! Well, it's a good thing that I need some time to season wood, because this way I can still enjoy my daffodils without feeling frustrated that my first fire is still so far off.

Thanks everyone for putting my jealousy over your leisurely lifestyles to rest! I was starting to feel like I'd have to wait to until -- well, in this economy, who knows what age -- before I could retire and get a wood stove.

With respect to how the heat will flow to other rooms: There is so much about this new old house that I don't know yet since I won't even be living in it for a few months. It's a colonial with the original floor plan, so all of the rooms come off a center stairway. Especially because we do spend so much time in the kitchen, I'm thinking that the best plan is still to start with the smallest kitchen stove. Then, once we're settled in and know the house better, if we do get bitten by the fire bug we will be perfectly situated to put an insert in the living room -- which is bigger and more central to the rest of the house.

I promise to supply pics when this all happens!

Thanks much!

There are many of us who thought we'd be supplementing an existing heat source with wood who have gone over to full-time burning, either out of choice or necessity. There's a learning curve involved, and this forum can help a lot with that. It sounds like there's tremendous potential with that house for having multiple stoves. Research `four-o'clock stoves' to get a sense of what those bedroom mantles were about.

Consider a small cookstove in the kitchen--the Australian-made Down Under Bake Oven is a nifty design, as are the pricey-beautiful Marine Stoves. They are utilitarian and comforting, and will give you small-space heat. See what you think about living with that, and move on from there. I'd love to have more than one wood stove, but the one I have is too effective to justify that (I know that sounds a little loopy, but you'll get it when you've lived with stoves awhile).

Having a better understanding of your house location, construction, siting, and layout will allow people here to make more specific suggestions.

Agreed with above--a larger stove will allow for a fire that lasts longer, and get your wood seasoning asap.

Another thought:if you husband is a pragmatic fellow, he might be persuaded of the value of a stove by pointing out the volatility of the fuel oil market and the possibilty of something going wrong with the primary heating system. If that becomes the case, it's no longer about ambiance and coziness--it's about keeping the plumbing from freezing up. It's not clear what region you live in, but for some of us, not having an alternative heat source is just crazy.

I think your plan is sound. There are many folks stopping by here that only burn nights and weekends. Either the small Jotul 602CB or the Morso 2B are nice small stoves. The advantage is that it will heat up the room pretty quickly. Nice for when coming home from work. If the room is warm enough either stop feeding the fire or cool the room down. Cool the room down by placing a table fan running at low speed, in the hallway, on the floor and blow cool hallway air into the kitchen. The cool hallway air will be replaced by warm air and you will start heating up the house with your little stove. Not enough heat make a huge difference on a cold day, but some nice heating on the milder days. The burn times won't be spectacular with the small firebox on this size stove, but don't let that stop you. It's the little stove that could.

Welcome to the forum overhear!

Some good advice already given. I will only stress the point on having good wood. This is the number 1 problem with new wood burners and some of the older ones too! I always advise to be 2=3 years ahead on your wood supply at all times. This assures your wood will be dry and will burn good so you won't be bugged by the problems of poor fires and dirty chimneys. It also gives you just a bit of a safety net so that if sometime you are not able to get wood right away, you still have good wood to burn. For example, I usually put up a good amount of wood every winter but this year due to some physical problems was not able to do much. It really did not hurt us though because we have several years supply already cut, split and stacked out in the wind.

We only burned evenings during the shoulder with no problem. We lit up about 6 - 7pm, and had no problem at all.

The only thing I could imagine happening with a wood stove in the kitchen is that everybody would probably want to congregate there instead of the lounge :)

And a warm welcome to the forum!!!

More random thoughts . . .

A nice thing about putting a stove in the kitchen is that it would make for a great PEI Kitchen Party setting . . .

Echoing SnowLeopard's thoughts . . . Originally I thought I would get a woodstove and just supplement the heat . . . I was thinking about heating the whole house vs. just one room, but figured I would just burn evenings and weekends when I was home . . . didn't take long before I realized that a) I was saving a lot of money by burning wood instead of oil when it was close to $4 a gallon, b) I found it easy to run the stove 24/7 -- and in fact in some ways it was much easier as you get into a routine and there are not as much of a spike and dip in the temps in the home and c) I found the heat to be comparable to my hot water baseboard -- but it was a lot more enjoyable to watch the flames than to go out to my boiler room and watch my oil boiler run.

"Leisurely lifestyle" -- hehheh . . . you a funny girl . . . the one thing about burning wood . . . it's not leisurely . . . maybe sitting back and watching the fire for a few minutes or basking in the heat . . . but for me it's a chore . . . a very enjoyable chore of cutting down the tree, limbing, bucking up the wood, hauling it out to my trailer, hauling it home, splitting it, stacking it in the wind and sun, restacking the wood in the shed, moving the wood from the shed to the covered porch, moving it from the porch to the woodbox, loading, cleaning the glass, dumping the ashes, etc. . . . don't fool yourself . . . although perhaps you were being purposefully funny . . . burning wood isn't like lighting up an occasional fireplace . . . at least for most of it it isn't . . . oh yeah . . . forgot the part about cleaning the chimney.

I've been an evening and weekend burner these past three years, although with heating oil prices rising, I may become a morning, evening and weekend burner next year! I have a small Pacific Energy Vista Insert in my fireplace in the living room--the only place we could put a stove and the only size that would fit. It's about 1.5 cubic feet and will burn for 4 to 6 hours depending on what I put in it and how full I fill it. PE makes a free standing stove version of the Vista and also makes a cast iron version, the Alderlea T4, which would be particularly nice in the kitchen because it has a cooktop and swing-out warming shelves. Also the cast iron will tend to moderate the heat and not blast you out of the kitchen the way a steel stove could. PE stoves are built like tanks and are easy to operate.

You could light a fire in the morning to take the chill off of the kitchen, light or rekindle a fire when you get home from work, and load the stove for the night before you go to bed. That wouldn't amount to quite burning 24/7, but it will really help with your oil or propane bill, especially if you keep the rest of the house cool. make sure you have a comfy chair near the stove!

firefighterjake said:
More random thoughts . . ."Leisurely lifestyle" -- hehheh . . . you a funny girl . . . the one thing about burning wood . . . it's not leisurely . . .

It does look leisurely for all the visitors who like to turn up and put their feet up in front of your stove though......... trouble is they tend to take root and never leave :)

Status
Not open for further replies.