Is candle wax flammable when it spills on a wood stove insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrieleigh

Jan 27, 2016
Pennslyvania
I left a pillar candle on my wood stove insert and it melted down the sides and also on the top of the unit where I can't access. (There is a 1/2 inch gap between the top of the firebox and the top of the whole unit. It now has wax in it that I can't reach.) I've cleaned off everything I can, but there is intense smoke when I use the stove--so I know there's still wax.

My chimney repair guy said I should just let it burn off, but is that a fire hazard?

I appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions!

Yes it is flammable but i would still run it. But i would keep an eye on it when you do till the wax burns off. And have a fire extinguisher handy. I doubt it will be an issue but you should be prepared if it is.

I would burn the stove while I am there to watch it. Even if it does catch on fire, just let it burn, everything directly around it should be non-flammable . You cant be talking about more than a tablespoon of wax left that you could not clean up. I might even be tempted to burn out the wax with a propane torch.

I can't tell you what your results may be but I have spilled wax (from a tart warmer) on my stove with no ill effects other than the discoloration on the stove top.

Status
Not open for further replies.