Is DVL Desireable When Clearance is Not a Problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm getting a DuraTech chimney installed. Is their DVL smoke pipe super desireable or necessary if clearance is not a problem?

Double wall is a superior performer to single wall but just so much more expensive. It will last much longer as well since the interior is stainless steel. Remember, the pipe doesn't heat the space, the stove is the heater.

To save money I used single wall in my shop stove just last year and the exterior is already showing exterior rust where the paint has lost it's luster near the flue collar. That was a 10 foot vertical connector pipe.

But you have to take it apart some to clean it. I wonder how the double wall stands up to that. It'd be hard to treat that like gold.

Depends on the stove and installation. I clean by just dropping the baffle.

I guess if it wouldn't be taken apart, there wouldn't be any issues. How about if it was to be taken apart?

Do you know something about DVL? I know it's expensive. But, is it necessary or desireable if not needed for clearance purposes, and I will add, a short run.

Status
Not open for further replies.