Is everyone safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
roadking88 said:
where was this video taken????

Hello raodking88

No Idea where that vid was taken.

Here in Salem NH we have down power lines on Bridge St causing major Traffic Lights being out at Bridge St and Main St and Lights out at Geremonty Dr and Main St (also Rt 97) Hurricane is only just starting here!!!!

See pics

Attachments

• HIreneDownLinesBridgeStsc.jpg
    HIreneDownLinesBridgeStsc.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 388
  • HIreneTrafficLightsOutBridge&MainstSC.jpg
    HIreneTrafficLightsOutBridge&MainstSC.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 392
Don2222 said:
roadking88 said:
where was this video taken????

Hello raodking88

No Idea where that vid was taken.

Here in Salem NH we have down power lines on Bridge St causing major Traffic Lights being out at Bridge St and Main St and Lights out at Geremonty Dr and Main St (also Rt 97) Hurricane is only just starting here!!!!

See pics

yeah same here just starting...
still have power here but sat tv keeps going in and out...
looks like you got some pretty good wind down there..
it's heading our way....
there saying around 4 here for the worst part of the storm...

Just got called back into work, I run the municipal drinking water plant here. Our wells are flooded, causing some problems. We lost power at home, got the generator running. We are on the tail end of the storm now, but I fear the worst of our flooding problems is yet to come when the rivers crest from the flooding north of us. Keep safe everyone and hopefully nobody has too much damage.

My niece lost a tree. It took down some of her horse stables. She lives in central Connecticut. No one hurt. Wind is now really picking up here with a driving rain. We are getting thunder, gusts of wind and rain, then quite, then it repeats again. Weather station says not to become complacent and think the event is over.
We took several trees down prior to this storm. Don't miss them a bit as we are still surrounded by woods. Don't know how or why I let those trees grow back and so big.
Many thanks to those standing by to respond to the many storm related emergencies.

Woke up to this at 2 am. front door opened by a fallen tree. Lucky was fixable with out to much problem. No other damage.

Attachments

• 2011-08-28_08-19-22_354.jpg
    2011-08-28_08-19-22_354.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 351
  • 2011-08-28_08-34-51.jpg
    2011-08-28_08-34-51.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 363
SE Mass - Taunton

A few limbs down and power is out but the worst seems to be over

Pole pig up the road flamed out so I probably won't see power for a few days
My 800 watt HF genny is keeping the fridge cold and the TV/Wii/internet going for now

Cold shower for work tomorrow though....

Glad to hear most made it through without much damage. For me just a few small tree branches scattered about and the sump pump has been going since 8. I'll take it.

Pole bean tepees down or severely leaning, the corn and sunflowers are somewhat diagonal, my cucumber vine fence is for the most part down, the chickens are as mad as wet hornets because they had to stay in, and so far the absolute worse is that their shade and protector from aerial attacks thorn tree is now chicken food.

Yup we had, a bit of a blow and some rain here, a basic non event.

I haven't gone down the driveway to see if we can get off the lot yet.

A few miles from Smokey ~ I have not had power since 10:30 AM (Sunday), trees down everywhere outside, 3 just on my road, and a LOT of widow makers in the woods. No damage to my property though! We have a genny, so I can't complain.

Just heavy rain and wind here in Eastern Pa. where I am. The power did not go off in my area some areas around me did.
ed

Well, overall for me wasn't as bad as I thought.

Had a total of 9.75" rain overnight, and the wind was actually stronger after the eye passed me (it was about 20 miles east of me at 11 am this morning).....top recorded wind was 32 MPH gust at about 5 PM today.

Lots of small branches down, but no trees or large limbs, and the power never even blinked.

I got lucky for once. :cheese:

Hope everyone is safe, I on the other got hurt on duty with the fd yesterday. We don't have any power im on my cell phone. I was clearing a oak tree in the road that our crew was on. I was cutting and it started to give I pulled the saw tryed to get out and was all too fast. A 5" diameter limb swung and hit me along my back. Layer on the road for a few and got on my feet. I was taken by our ambulance to ER had 6 xrays done and no broken bones. Badly bruised and I feel like I had the crap beat out of me. Stay safe everyone mother nature hurts.

FireManDan said:
...no broken bones. Badly bruised and I feel like I had the crap beat out of me...

Sorry you got hurt...sure glad your injuries were not more serious. Thank you for what you do. Rick

j-takeman said:
Looks like she is headed straight at us! My MIL is named Irene and she wasn't due here till mid September???? :ahhh:

We are headed out this morning for supplies(ice, batteries, candles, gas and food ect! That is if there is anything left on the shelfs????) just in case. Gonna spend the day battening down the hatches!

Stay safe all!

Hope all went ok, how'd you fair ?

In beginning of August I had 8 Hickory trees dropped as they were nearing the house and upwards of 85-100 feet tall. Thinking right now that was a good idea as I had 10 trees where the tops were snapped, couple yanked right out of the ground in the same basic area I had the others dropped but these were far enough away from the house. Now just have to deal with power loss. Estimated restore time is 1 to 2 weeks! 98% of town is without power. But I do understand priorities as to who gets power back first. We are looking at it is as though we are camping out in our house!!! Nope don't own a generator but that will change tomorrow! borrowed a smaller one to run fridge upstairs and freezer downstairs to prevent food loss. Yeehaa for gas grills, oil lamps and vodka! Never thought I'd be using my cell phone as an alarm clock! Good Luck all!

UncleAnthony said:
j-takeman said:
Looks like she is headed straight at us! My MIL is named Irene and she wasn't due here till mid September???? :ahhh:

We are headed out this morning for supplies(ice, batteries, candles, gas and food ect! That is if there is anything left on the shelfs????) just in case. Gonna spend the day battening down the hatches!

Stay safe all!

Hope all went ok, how'd you fair ?

Made it through just fine. No major issues!

How about everyone else?

j-takeman said:
Made it through just fine. No major issues!

How about everyone else?

All OK here. A few hours of high winds and heavy rain most of the day. Tree limbs and allot of leaves to clean up. No power for a bit for me, but now all back to normal. Half the town had no power until last night, still a few dozen without.

Overall we fared better than others.

Lol. That video isn't even from this storm.
Date it was uploaded to Youtube is 6/12/09.
I have some footage I shot Sunday but
haven't edited it yet.

Hope everyone came out unscathed.

I made it OK. Lost power on Sunday and basement filled up before I could get generator running. Once pumps were on emptied pretty quick. Partner still out of power and a few of the cars got wet. Dealer next door lost a bunch of cars. Water up to the windows on many. I was lucky. Just spoke to a buddy who was summer home/hunting camp in Margretville,N.Y. and his home is OK, but the town is a mess. Good luck to all who still have problems.

Schoondog

Made out OK, water in the basement, and back yard got flooded, the water surged at high tide about 3 houses away, but never went any further!

Attachments

• 255.jpg
    255.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 258.jpg
    258.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 184
Generator ran for 27hours before power was restored.
House lost a couple shingles but otherwise
no other damage. Trees Down everywhere.

Have family staying with us for a few days as their power
Is not expected to return until the weekend.

Well we survived 62 hours without commercial power. Finally this morning at 03:30 power was restored.
No damage here other than tress and wires down and road closings.

Consider ourselves very fortunate considering what occured in Vermont.

We have been without power for right at 100hrs and honestly I don't see it back on for atleast a few more days. Thankful for my 17kw genset. She has been running strong. I'm blowing through some propane though. I've burned @110 gallons so far. We have been shutting it off at night.

My inlaws were not so lucky. They had a huge oak tree fall on the house. Put about 7 holes in the roof along with a lot of other damage. I was over there last night watching the crane lift the tree off. Then we put down flashing over the holes.

Still no power here lost it at 5:30am Sunday morning and nothing back yet. I went and was able to get a generator at tractor supply on Tuesday. The national guard finally brought the town water and mre's. Im loving my generator will come in handy for many things. I got the B&S storm responder its a 5500 watt.

Power came back on last night around 8:40pm. Thanks to all the Power crews who came out of there way to help out!

Status
Not open for further replies.