Is it OK to drip water on top of a hot wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 13, 2022
USA
For several years I have been keeping a pot of water on my wood stove to keep the air from getting too dry in my house. It helps, at least a little bit.

However, my kids love dumping snow and dripping water on top of the stove and watching it dance around and evaporate. I have always allowed them to do this, assuming it is harmless fun, and it adds a little more humidity, which is not a bad thing. However, a friend recently told me to never do this. I asked why, and he said "It is dangerous." He would not elaborate beyond that. To be clear, nobody is putting any water in the stove. Nothing is going up the chimney, the wood is dry and seasoned well. The kids are old enough not to touch the stove or get steam in their faces. I am asking about the stove itself.

Is there anything inherently wrong with doing this? I know it leaves small mineral marks from the evaporated water, but I do not care about that. Is there anything dangerous about it? Is it going to damage the stove?
Thanks!

Rapid cooling of the stove with water could cause fractures. If water was placed on the glass there is a high probability of it shattering. It might be fun for the kids but it's not worth ruining your stove over.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
A large enough amount of water or snow could thermal shock the stove. It probably wouldn't hurt a steel stove, but might crack cast iron or soapstone.

Now, playing around the stove might cause a trip and that could cause burns, fractures, etc.

Reactions: stoveliker
Rapid cooling of the stove with water could cause fractures. If water was placed on the glass there is a high probability of it shattering. It might be fun for the kids but it's not worth ruining your stove over.
Thanks Paul Bunyan. There is no water being put on the glass, although the glazier told me I could have the fire up to something like 1200 degrees Fahrenheit and hold an ice cube on the other side with no effect... I have never had any reason to put that to the test and not really tempted to.

I am referring to a wood stove made of steel (specifically the Ideal Steel hybrid stove made by Woodstock). The kids like to splash water on top of it and put small snowballs on it, about the size of a golf ball. I am not talking about pouring a jug of ice water on it, just kids flicking wet hands and bits of snow.

Fracturing the stove would be devastating. This thing cost a few thousand dollars. Do you think it is likely?

Thanks

Fracturing the stove would be devastating. This thing cost a few thousand dollars. Do you think it is likely?
It's unlikely with a steel stove, but maybe limit it to a special time and not a regular event. The stove is not a play area or entertainment device. Kids should not be experimenting to see what happens on its hot surface. You probably don't want them trying to find out what happens when a plastic lego or soldier is put on the stove.

Reactions: kborndale
I can relate to this. My Grandmother had a OLD cook stove, cast iron with the removable eyes and all of that. Me and my brother would drip water onto it to watch it dance around before vanishing, lol....it was water or spit, we just loved doing it.

There is no water being put on the glass, although the glazier told me I could have the fire up to something like 1200 degrees Fahrenheit and hold an ice cube on the other side with no effect
This is true. I’ve heard that salesman were instructed to smash a snowball against the ceramic glass to prove it was durable.

I used to do this on electric hotplates as a kid.

I'm sure a few droplets won't hurt.

and put small snowballs on it, about the size of a golf ball.
Sounds like more than a few droplets.

So, bottom line: is it okay?

Not on my stove. Accidental water my happen. And it may go okay. But "may" is not enough for me to do it intentionally.
Yours: your choice.

Might get a stain eventually if there are impurities in the water or snow.

I know a lot of people don’t care how their stove looks. I do.. I like it look new and tidy, no snowballs will be melted on my new stove. A garage stove, that could be fun. Not my $3500 stove though. 😉

About 10 years ago my new G/F had/has a Waterford 104 small Cast Iron stove and was worried about leaving the stove on when we left the house or an overnight burn.
It turns out her late mother would throw water inside the fire box if they left the house! I told her that I'm shocked it didn't ruin the stove. Been using it for the last 10 years with no issues.

Reactions: TomMcDonald