Is it possible to convert a newmac 86/96c oil/wood combination furnace to electric/wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

knox241

Jan 18, 2023
Kingston
I installed this unit 10 years ago and now I want to get the oil tank out of my basement. I burn alot of wood and very seldom use the oil. I have alot of available space on my electrical panel as my house was baseboard heating when I purchased it. Is there an electric plenum that I can purchase and have installed to give me what I need on the few times I need it on cold evenings?thx Dave

I installed this unit 10 years ago and now I want to get the oil tank out of my basement. I burn alot of wood and very seldom use the oil. I have alot of available space on my electrical panel as my house was baseboard heating when I purchased it. Is there an electric plenum that I can purchase and have installed to give me what I need on the few times I need it on cold evenings?thx Dave
I'm sure there is...a local HVAC service should be able to handle that.

Search for "electric duct heater" find one the right size to stick on your ductwork (with support) and leave the furnace alone, or fab sheet metal to (possibly) fit the furnace. It will be interlocked with the furnace fan.

Tutco, Watco, Marley, Thermoelec are reputable brands I have personally worked with.