Is it really possible to go through 12 face cords?!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the Colo. Rockies at 8500 ft it gets cold at times. We use two stoves plus a small one that heats our water. No supplemental heat source, we use about 2 1/2 cords a year including the baking in the summer and water all yr. around. I don't know anyone around here who speaks of face cords, never hear that term except here on the forum. I've always supposed "face cord" was marketing, sounds like less money compared with a cord??? [Here we go: we can start saying stuff like, "I just put 30 quarts of gasoline in my pickup!!"]

But we keep our house maybe high sixties, cooler at night for sleeping.

Wood Duck said:
quads said:
I burn 4-5 real cord (that's 12-15 face cord) of oak in the stove per year. Plus, I burn at least 1 real cord (that's 3 more face cord) of my best seasoned oak in the firepit during the summer, just for recreational burning. And then if we count what I sell and give away......................

Seasoned oak in the fire pit? The fire pit is why poplar was invented! When you're sitting around the fire, adding wood is half the fun. Not to mention you're burning a whole cord of the stuff. You must have a lot of fires out there.
Yes, a lot of fires in the firepit. Every weekend and many weeknights. The neighbors all know to stop and visit when they drive by and see the fire going. It's my version of TV. And I'm usually out there with my little telescope and my camera taking pictures of the stars. I love making firewood, the more I burn the better. No poplar here. It takes just as much cutting, splitting, hauling, and stacking to make a cord of lesser wood as it does oak anyway, so I only choose oak. Plus, I've got lots and lots of it. More oak grows here than anything else.

I think around my neck of the woods 4 to 6 full cords is about average per year.. (12 to 18 face cords)

My first year 2007/2008 I burned 5 full cords (15 face cords)

My Second Year 2008/2009 I burned 6 full cords (18 face cords)

This year doesn't count because I started in Mid-December :cheese:

If you let your burn cycle complete rather than adding wood so often and don't keep it so warm, you will use less.

But for all of our sakes, let's talk in real cords, OK? :)

wendell said:
If you let your burn cycle complete rather than adding wood so often and don't keep it so warm, you will use less.

But for all of our sakes, let's talk in real cords, OK? :)

Its a regional thing! :cheese:

For whatever reason it seems to be a Michigan & New York type of thing?

Anyone know why?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.