Is it really possible to go through 12 face cords?!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Hearth Supporter
Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
Wow, I always heard the first year you go through the most wood, but I thought we had plenty for at least a couple years. We ordered 12 face cords in the fall, and I think we're down to four face cords. We live in Upstate, NY and have the Jotul Castine. It is our only source of heat, so I'm guessing that's a main reason why we went through so much wood up to this point. Even though our winter Gas&Electric; Bills have been under $70 which is a huge savings, but if we had to buy 12 face cords of wood every season we would not be saving too much. Don't get me wrong, I'd take the aesthetics/charm of a wood stove over gas heat any day. I love splitting wood, getting a good fire and watching a nice secondary burn. I was watching the Super Bowl in shorts and a T-shirt, can't beat it. Am I the only one going through so much wood. I'm pretty sure I have good seasoned wood. I can get 8-9 hour burns if I pack it tight. I tend to feed every four hours unless it's really cold and then I feed more often. Just curious to see if I'm the only one going through so much wood.

What have other people gone through up to this point???

I'll go through 5 cords, which is 15 face cords.

Next year I am planning on going through 7-8 cords which is 21-24 face cords. That would cost me about $650 if I were buying from the lumber yard. I'll take that over $3,000-$4,500 in oil.

We toast four cords a year. Kinda sorta twelve face cords. Which the people around here always chuckle about because they just set the thermostat on their heat pumps. Except that we have been without electricity for three days now and it is 73 degrees in this house. Neighbor just called to say it is 40 in his and is going to get colder over night.

I planned on burning about 14 face cords and am starting into my 7th face . But my stove wasn't in until October 29th but has only gone stone cold out once or twice. Still at about 5/8th tank kero . Paid $1400 for log length and ended up with 12 full cord or about 36 face cord. Plus wood freebies = happy heat.

Burning in two stoves (house & workshop), we can (and have) gone through 7 cords (21 face cords, if you think in those terms) in a season (~6+ months of burning). It's almost all softwood, so that has to be taken into account. I wish it was just 3 cords. Rick

The first year I burned 7 cords, then last year I burned 4.5, and this year looks to be about 5. Those are real cords and not some banana cord. If your 12 banana cords are actually 4 real cords then you didn't buy enough.

I've got a small-ish house (1600 sqft). I go through about 3 cords a year, which would be 9 face cords, in a house that is pretty easy to heat.

Your usage doesn't seem to be all that high.

-SF

Is it really possible to go through 12 face cords?!?!?

Sure is ...esp if your a 24/7 burner. I was trying to eyeball calculate our wood usage so far and it has to be close to 3 now and we may be good for another 3 full cord...total 18 face cord. Pretty sure we burn more than the average Joe cause were understoved in our 3k house so the stove is pretty much operating WOT to make do.

I would guess the Rochester has got to be as cold as CNY. If you were to play it safe and have the room to store wood then calculate 21 face cord a year...that will leave you with some carry over. Maybe.

We're tracking about the same wood usage so far.

I have burned right around four true cords of wood and figure about 2 more to finish the year. As you can tell from others here, burning 12 face cord isn't that bad.

I had 31/2 full cord burnt up by new years day . I stopped looking at the pile . I was hoping 4 Cord's would do me for the season . Lucky i have a huge pile of split wood out side .
I'm cutting 3 large oaks next week , It should be 6 or so cord its time to start splitting . John

If you are warm and a happy Saints fan, you are doing okay. We have burned a similar amount so far burning 24/7 since early October. How dry is your wood? Do you have next years supply already? It makes a big difference.

I've only been burning since Nov. 24/7 and I'm right around 3 cord(not face) so far. This is my first season, once my wood is better next year I may use less but I'm planning for 5 cord a year moving forward.

BrotherBart said:
We toast four cords a year. Kinda sorta twelve face cords. Which the people around here always chuckle about because they just set the thermostat on their heat pumps. Except that we have been without electricity for three days now and it is 73 degrees in this house. Neighbor just called to say it is 40 in his and is going to get colder over night.

Gotta wipe that grin off your face and be sympathetic to the neighbors. (OK, gloat a little) Offer them a brew from the cooler outside while they come in to thaw out.

I burn 4-5 real cord (that's 12-15 face cord) of oak in the stove per year. Plus, I burn at least 1 real cord (that's 3 more face cord) of my best seasoned oak in the firepit during the summer, just for recreational burning. And then if we count what I sell and give away......................

During a mild winter, I suppose it's possible to go through 12 face cords. Hell, last year I only went through about 11. This year will be 15 by the time the fat lady sings.

20 years ago I burned in an ancient behemoth of a wood furnace. I once used about 36 face cords in that beast, heating up a huge and drafty old farmhouse.

I use to burn 4-5 cords every season, but after learning some great tips from this place, tightening up my house, and burning a more efficient stove I've cut it back to 3 cords each of the last 3 seasons burning hardwoods.

I went thru 15 face cords or so heating only 1500 square feet, but I used an oversized monster of a stove in the worst possible part of the house. The stove, even though EPA certified eats a lot of wood. 12 face cord seems exactly right in a mid sized stove like a Castine if you were trying to heat 1000-1500 feet

I've gone through 6-7 full cords to this point. I put up around 16 not knowing what to expect. Mostly maple and beech. Here's a look at what it looked like:

Attachments

• 10-12-09 woodpile.jpg
    10-12-09 woodpile.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 420
Soadrocks said:
Wow, I always heard the first year you go through the most wood, but I thought we had plenty for at least a couple years. We ordered 12 face cords in the fall, and I think we're down to four face cords. We live in Upstate, NY and have the Jotul Castine. It is our only source of heat, so I'm guessing that's a main reason why we went through so much wood up to this point. Even though our winter Gas&Electric; Bills have been under $70 which is a huge savings, but if we had to buy 12 face cords of wood every season we would not be saving too much. Don't get me wrong, I'd take the aesthetics/charm of a wood stove over gas heat any day. I love splitting wood, getting a good fire and watching a nice secondary burn. I was watching the Super Bowl in shorts and a T-shirt, can't beat it. Am I the only one going through so much wood. I'm pretty sure I have good seasoned wood. I can get 8-9 hour burns if I pack it tight. I tend to feed every four hours unless it's really cold and then I feed more often. Just curious to see if I'm the only one going through so much wood.

What have other people gone through up to this point???

I've fed just over 2 cord through my PE Spectrum Classic, but I started kindov early and since Jan it's been a very mild winter.

Adios Pantalones said:
I burn a frinkle every year- plus or minus a toe cord or 2.

LOL

Soadrocks said:
Is it really possible to through 12 face cords???

In Florida: Only if you burn year round :lol:

quads said:
I burn 4-5 real cord (that's 12-15 face cord) of oak in the stove per year. Plus, I burn at least 1 real cord (that's 3 more face cord) of my best seasoned oak in the firepit during the summer, just for recreational burning. And then if we count what I sell and give away......................

Seasoned oak in the fire pit? The fire pit is why poplar was invented! When you're sitting around the fire, adding wood is half the fun. Not to mention you're burning a whole cord of the stuff. You must have a lot of fires out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.