Is it safe to store this wood with the rest of firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I dug up the tree trunk that was covered in leafs, laying on the ground. ( Inheritance from previous owner).
The bark is rotten and almost eaten away, separates easily. Lot of small ants, big ants and god knows what else just ran away when I moved it. The inside seems OK and not rotten. Is it safe to put this wood with my other newly cut wood. I'm worry about infestation. I'll put some pics in next post

When it is split and in the open all of the lil critters move out fast looking for a wet place to inhabit.

I split a big round full of ants yesterday and today there was no sign of them around anywhere.

Some pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 263
Pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 208
It doesn't look too bad to me, but the inside could be punky. I wouldn't stack any soft or punky wood in an uncovered stack. It will absorb water and keep the wood near it wet.

I split couple rounds, seems ok

bird feeders !

well until they ate all the grubs

the ants probably aren't happy that you sliced up their condo

I recently suggested to my wife we get a couple bird feeders, she said she doesn't like having birds around. I just shrugged it off as we have dozens of species of birds in my yard daily. Same day I saw a bunch of birds picking at my new stack of wood and laughed...well I got my bird feeder after all :)

As a rule of thumb anything punky or looks to be or has been an ant condo does not get mixed in my with my firewood stacks. I set it aside for bonfires.

I recently suggested to my wife we get a couple bird feeders, she said she doesn't like having birds around. I just shrugged it off as we have dozens of species of birds in my yard daily. Same day I saw a bunch of birds picking at my new stack of wood and laughed...well I got my bird feeder after all

Actually I was amazed that some bird was almost ignoring me being busy around these rounds. Now it makes sense.

Actually I was amazed that some bird was almost ignoring me being busy around these rounds. Now it makes sense.

Yeah punked wood usually as lots of bugs in it, even healthy cuts have bugs under the bark, and the birds love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.