Is it this bad everywhere?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
So my wife and I have been trying to find inexpensive triple wall pipe. Bit of an oxymoron I know. For the most part people have been listing stove pipe on facebook marketplace and craigslist with the size and that's it. No big deal, but when you refuse to send a picture and tell someone it is triple wall then it's not or they say its triple wall and I ask the brand they tell me it's something it is not. I mean if you can use craigslist or facebook you can look up a part number or a few pictures it really isn't that hard. I mean a mistake is a mistake but when they want to argue it is what it isn't then get pissed you don't buy it is a little over the top. Anyone else notice this or have had this happen? The best are the "premium hardwood firewood" for sale when it's pine or poplar or the latest "sleeping willow" Sorry but I'm just a bit aggravated by it all.

Why just look for triple wall if this is 6" chimney pipe? Double-wall chimney is usually better and used, often no more expensive.

Reactions: webby3650
I would be but I already have the straps, and through the wall kit for the duravent piping.

I'm amazed that people on craigslist don't even dust off the stuff they are selling. Hey, I'm happy to underbid because it's dirty.

I would be but I already have the straps, and through the wall kit for the duravent piping.
Duravent makes (2) different sized double wall class a pipes, the home depot dura plus is 10.5" od and then the more expensize dura tech is smaller od

Duravent makes (2) different sized double wall class a pipes, the home depot dura plus is 10.5" od and then the more expensize dura tech is smaller od
DuraPlus is triple-wall. DuraTech is double-wall.

Chas0218 said:
. . .I mean a mistake is a mistake but when they want to argue it is what it isn't then get pissed you don't buy it is a little over the top. Anyone else notice this or have had this happen? The best are the "premium hardwood firewood" for sale when it's pine or poplar or the latest "sleeping willow" Sorry but I'm just a bit aggravated by it all.
Yes, the majority of firewood "vendors" are like this everywhere. It's difficult just getting an honest 128-cu-ft cord out of most of them. Apparently, the meaning of "cord" is subjective, unlike say, a gallon, which most folks accept as 128oz.

Asking how seasoned the wood is usually = a complete waste of time. You should assume any wood you buy is closer to green than dry, regardless of what the "vendor" says.
If you're buying wood to burn this year, you may want to consider the pine, since it dries out much more quickly than most hardwoods. Wood bricks(like 2-lb pellets) are also a better option than hardwood that has been "seasoned" for maybe a summer. Most oak takes 2+ years to dry out enough to support a nice secondary burn.

With used pipe, I would make sure all the pieces still fit together nicely before buying.

Last edited:
So my wife and I have been trying to find inexpensive triple wall pipe. Bit of an oxymoron I know. For the most part people have been listing stove pipe on facebook marketplace and craigslist with the size and that's it. No big deal, but when you refuse to send a picture and tell someone it is triple wall then it's not or they say its triple wall and I ask the brand they tell me it's something it is not. I mean if you can use craigslist or facebook you can look up a part number or a few pictures it really isn't that hard. I mean a mistake is a mistake but when they want to argue it is what it isn't then get pissed you don't buy it is a little over the top. Anyone else notice this or have had this happen? The best are the "premium hardwood firewood" for sale when it's pine or poplar or the latest "sleeping willow" Sorry but I'm just a bit aggravated by it all.

Only if you were closer, I have some brand new, never used still in the box, Metalbestos 6" .