Is it winter yet?!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are forecasting rain for the next 3 days. Total being 3-6 inches On the already saturated ground. Should be interesting.

Went hiking in the White Mountains yesterday in NW Maine. Sunny and low 50s. When we were in the conifers, it was difficult to tell what season it was.

Ugly forecast (if you're a commuter here) this week. Raining today, but it's supposed to go below freezing tonight and stay that way tomorrow.

8-12" of mixed stuff on Tuesday.

Rain/sleet and cold temps Wednesday night.

I gotta go put my snow tires on and fill the trunk with arctic adventure gear….

I think winter has finally arrived up my way...for now. -6C to -18C temps are forecast for the next week (high/low). That being said, the long term forecast is showing + temperatures during the second week of Jan. Weird...

Andrew

easy just go to El Paso, TX. yesterdays Sun Bowl upload_2015-12-27_9-56-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Swedishchef
Yeah. Between tornadoes and the blizzard my family in North Central Texas is getting hammered.

I'm good. Knock on wood.

Oil burner getting fixed after New Years, and I'll be burning that to keep the house to 62 F or so, and letting the stoves do most of it. Also ordering more Firewood this week, figured a few loads won't hurt for insurance. Plus I have a cord + of "to be processed (to long, to wide to big ... needs chain saw attention before splitting / stacking)".

Fired off the PE about an hour ago, and just going to let it idle. 30 - 35 F here tonight.

My thoughts with Texas, gonna be a rough ride.

Got to stretch the legs on my wood stove for the first time this year. 23F this morning and 70F inside with a great overnight burn.

Love my englander, but I think my wife loves it more.

Temps predicted to be 50º above normal at the North Pole if you're planning a trip. This looks to be one whopper of a storm. Expect Europe is going to see some major weather from it. It has the potential to join with 2 other storms making is a true weather beast.
“The Icelandic coast and near off-shore regions are expected to see heavy precipitation hurled over the island by 90 to 100 mile per hour or stronger winds raging out of 35-40 foot seas. Meanwhile, the UK will find itself in the grips of an extraordinarily strong southerly gale running over the backs of 30 foot swells.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...atures-70-degrees-above-normal-at-north-pole/

Wow!

Temps predicted to be 50º above normal at the North Pole if you're planning a trip. This looks to be one whopper of a storm. Expect Europe is going to see some major weather from it. It has the potential to join with 2 other storms making is a true weather beast.
“The Icelandic coast and near off-shore regions are expected to see heavy precipitation hurled over the island by 90 to 100 mile per hour or stronger winds raging out of 35-40 foot seas. Meanwhile, the UK will find itself in the grips of an extraordinarily strong southerly gale running over the backs of 30 foot swells.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...atures-70-degrees-above-normal-at-north-pole/

X2 wow

bob

That is insane. Meanwhile, 70% of Canada had a green Christmas.

I wonder what the weather is like on Mars ;)

Andrew

Only the soft 70%. I imagine over 6' of snow since the first sprinkle and -10 right now with a low of -18 tonight.

Yep, BC got some very good snowfall along with the WA state Cascades.

Christmas was green and dark here - el Niño and old man winter banging into each other left a a few thousand of us without power, some for 3 days (wind damage was widespread - 100 miles north and east of us). Our plan to spend Christmas eve / day out at the "camp" went out the window. They got us powered up again on boxing day, got the last few outliers fixed up later that say, early next. Those line crews do not get paid enough for what they do to get the lights back on for everyone, especially having to work so hard over Christmas.

On the bright side, it was a bit of a poke towards making some improvements to the current backup power arrangement out there. Got some work to do. Meanwhile, we got a pretty good snow last night - fired up the blower for the first time today.

Looks like Winter has finally struck here as well . . . temps in the teens and yesterday's storm gave us 5-6 inches of powder.

Looks like I finally fire up the stove for the first time this year tomorrow night. Unbelievable. Two months later than ever before. Going into this burning season I was concerned because I was 1/2 to 3/4 cord short for next year.

Never mind.

More cool weather coming. A lot of local spots in our area dropped into the 20s. Nearby water kept us at 34º for a low.

We've been seeing 20s-30s the last week. There's a day of 40s next week in the forecast but then back to the 30s still no snow to speak of though. Somehow the southern states are getting the weather I'm wanting. Go figure. :(

Spring is right around the corner! 79 more days! And the way this seasons been going it might be a lot sooner! Home Depot is putting out all their spring / summer stuff already. Won't be long now!
I do like winter, but I gave up on this season a while ago. At this point I say bring on spring!

Is it time yet for the Peeps and Cadbury eggs?

Leprechauns and Irish whiskey first!

Status
Not open for further replies.