Is Kaowool Asbestos?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ginobass

Jul 10, 2008
WNY
I'm looking for some insulation for my insert install. Saw Kaowool at Anvilfire store. Is this stuff still made of asbestos these days?

My dad had a part time job as a boilerman at a chemical tanker trucking company back in the 70s and 80s and just died of mesothelioma, so you can understand that I'm not interested one bit in having asbestos in my house, period.

If Kaowool no longer contains asbestos, then that would be fine. If it does still, what are my alternatives for a blanket type high heat insulation?

thanks!

Kaowool is made from ceramic fiber. No asbestos involved.

While not asbestos I've read more than a few reports that suggest it is still dangerous to inhale the fibers. They recommend wetting it or wearing a dust mask while cutting the batts.

Matt

ginobass said:
I'm looking for some insulation for my insert install. Saw Kaowool at Anvilfire store. Is this stuff still made of asbestos these days?

My dad had a part time job as a boilerman at a chemical tanker trucking company back in the 70s and 80s and just died of mesothelioma, so you can understand that I'm not interested one bit in having asbestos in my house, period.

If Kaowool no longer contains asbestos, then that would be fine. If it does still, what are my alternatives for a blanket type high heat insulation?

thanks!

1) It has no asbestos

2) you still don't want to breath it, especially after it's been cooked a few times

BrotherBart said:
Kaowool is made from ceramic fiber. No asbestos involved.

...and ceramic fiber is made from silica (sand). Silicosis is the fear with prolonged exposures and airborn particles (from fired ceramic fiber) are the dangers. Tearout of fired kaowool produces the airborn 'dust'. Besides silica, also contains fired kaolin clay, and other minerals.

The problem with Kaowool and Rockwool is that it is short fiber and they are easily inhaled and get embedded in your lungs. Up to at least three years ago when I checked there had been no carcinogenic effect associated with it.

ginobass said:
No asbestos is a relief, but still sounds semi-nasty. Any other alternatives?

no nastier than a lot of other common household materials. Wood dust is carcinogenic, for example. I always wear at least a real dust mask, (not a "nuisance" mask, they're appropriately named) or a respirator with a particulate filter for any job where there might be dust. I work around a lot of different kinds of dust, and have to read a lot of MSDS sheets.

Yeah a lot of people will worry about the insulation and then clean a chimney without a good mask. The black stuff you spit out wasn't all of it that you breathed. I have the pro model mask and still screw up and zip up to the roof sometimes without it. Dumb. :red:

I used a good amount of ceramic blanket insulation in my install and found that working slow and using a sharp blade to cut it helped big time to reduce exposure, no pulling it apart as that sends a good amount of it airborne. I used a paint fume grade 3M mask and took a good long shower after to reduce the itch factor, I would say it's not much worse compared to fiberglass insulation but working with that stuff is nasty in itself. The box it came in did warn of the dangers regarding inhalation of the needle like fibers..

Status
Not open for further replies.