Is my chimney suitable for a BK Princess?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Friends of us had two great pyrenees. The great in the name is appropriate...

They did well keeping then coyotes away from the chickens and sheep

We’re getting a female Great Pyrenees, so hopefully it’s 100 lbs at most. We’re supposed to pick it up in about two weeks.

I just got some lumber from the Amish to build the duck/chicken/dog house and also my wood shed :)

Reactions: logfarmer
I’ve started looking around for where I’ll get the Princess. Is the pricing pretty competitive from place to place, or are there dealers that are cheaper/more expensive?

Am I allowed to openly discuss pricing on this forum?

Also, if I’m going to install the stove myself, is there an option to have it shipped directly to me? The dealer I talked to today quoted a freight charge, but it was freight to get to them.

BTW, here’s a pic of the Great Pyrenees. She’s gained quite a bit of weight since we got her.
I didn’t know they have double dew claws on their hind legs. It definitely helps her walk on top of the snow easier.

5857DD1C-CF06-4C15-845C-8B7E5AED9B4A.jpeg

I’ve started looking around for where I’ll get the Princess. Is the pricing pretty competitive from place to place, or are there dealers that are cheaper/more expensive?

Also, if I’m going to install the stove myself, is there an option to have it shipped directly to me? The dealer I talked to today quoted a freight charge, but it was freight to get to them.

I am not sure regarding shipping; BK exclusively goes through dealers, though drop shipping might be possible. I'm not sure what the consequences of a self-install would be for warranty? Technical support won't change (they'll help you in any way they can).

@BKVP?

Sure I’ll go first, 2014 princess brand new with blower and convection deck was $2900.00 back when I ordered August of 2014

The dealer I talked to told me the standard stove is 4240$. And the fan is an extra 400$. Obviously plus taxes.

The price has gone up a bit since 2014 it sounds like. Haha.

I’m going to be redoing my chimney and stove pipe setup this summer. So having the dealer install is not an option for me. As long as the stove is still covered against defects by BK, that’s all I would be concerned about.

I also want to mention that my house is still technically under construction, so any stove or chimney work I do will be looked at by the building inspector. So the stove will be installed to code regardless.

Just fyi: The tax credit (still 26 pct?) will also apply to the install cost (labor and parts).

Just now talking to my wife she reminded me she wants the pedestal version of the stove, so I’ll have to ask them how much that increases the price.

Basically I’m wondering if the dealers have the same prices, or if it might be a couple hundred different from dealer to dealer. I’ve had a few woodstoves before, but have never bought a brand new stove.

It is my understanding that there could be differences (I've seen prices of two dealers here on LI and they were not the same).
However, it is also my understanding that dealers have a set servicing area and that they are not willing to go outside of that area.

Not commenting on that system, just noting it exists (if my memory serves me correctly).

Regardless, you can try to obtain quotes from the two nearest dealers? If my memory is correct, there is a dealer search function on the BK website.

I’m in between two bigger cities, with one being 30 min north and the other being about 45 min south. I’d be willing to go to either one to get the stove if it’s at least a hundred dollars cheaper.
I’ll call the other store tomorrow.

The guy I talked to today said he just ordered 3 Princesses to have in stock, and he expects them to come in around mid June.

I am curious to hear about what the warranty differences might be with me doing my own install. I just can’t justify paying someone to do something that I can do myself. It drives my wife crazy sometimes.

I have a newer class A chimney that im going to move closer to the house (I have it pushed out the clear the eve now, I’m going to notch the eve), and im going to switch to double wall stove pipe when I get the BK. Also I’m going to finish my hearth area this summer. I have rock board down now, and I need to tile it. So odds are the stove will be moved in and out a few times before it gets installed for good.

As I said, I'm not sure about warranty.

Why not use two 30 degree bends to clear the eve? No cutting required.

I’m hoping BKVP will chime in about the warranty.

The 30 degree bends are a good idea. My neighbor across the street has that setup. My wife told me before she thinks it ugly, but I think I could convince her to do it. We want to put an addition on the house, and would move the woodstove if we did that. So not messing with the roof would be nice.

Reactions: stoveliker
Sometimes he is away for a bit, presumably fulfilling his busy travel duties.

That’s cool. It might be a week or so before I decide who to buy it from and go leave a deposit.

The second place I called says 4710$ plus tax. That’s for a pedestal stove with a fan. They actually have it in stock. Which, I’m actually not ready for at this moment (no where to put it).

I don’t know how much the pedestal adds to the price, but it seems like the second place is a better deal. They also sounded like a cash and carry was semi common.

Just a small update, I contacted BK customer service and they told me a self install does not void the warranty.

Don,
There’s a real nice BK w/pedestal base on fb marketplace somewhere in NY.. (I did’nt write it down)
I would’nt worry much about the warrantee of a new stove, there’s really not much other than CAT and gaskets to keep an eye on !!