Is my stove shop trying to rip me off on a class A chimney for a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify when I wrote "rip off is a bit harsh" I mean't it was a harsh statement to make about the dealer. For instance is my dealer over priced on chimney pipe would have been a better way to ask the question

BeGreen said:
Back to the OP. I don't think your stove dealer is trying to rip you off at all. He is offering you a good product that he knows and trusts at a good price. How is this a rip off? To compare it with a cheaper big box pipe of a different brand (and perhaps you haven't accounted for all the pieces needed?) is not reasonable. Compared to online volume sellers - of the same product - your stove dealer's price is within a couple hundred. And that is easily justified considering your dealer has a store, staff, taxes, equipment etc. to pay for. They deserve and need to make a profit in order to stay in business. These profits go back into your community.

If you are happy with with the Lowes product, then go for it. But the premise that your stove dealer is trying to rip you off seems totally unfounded and unfair IMO.

Well said.

seaken said:
BeGreen said:
Back to the OP. I don't think your stove dealer is trying to rip you off at all. He is offering you a good product that he knows and trusts at a good price. How is this a rip off? To compare it with a cheaper big box pipe of a different brand (and perhaps you haven't accounted for all the pieces needed?) is not reasonable. Compared to online volume sellers - of the same product - your stove dealer's price is within a couple hundred. And that is easily justified considering your dealer has a store, staff, taxes, equipment etc. to pay for. They deserve and need to make a profit in order to stay in business. These profits go back into your community.

If you are happy with with the Lowes product, then go for it. But the premise that your stove dealer is trying to rip you off seems totally unfounded and unfair IMO.

Couldn't have said it any better. Actually, I am much more likely to put it in words that are not so diplomatic.

I am a dealer that faces this all the time. It always upsets me to be considered a crook just because my price is higher than the other place. I am not a crook but my prices are higher. I understand that not everyone will pay my price. I also understand that not everyone understands how my business works. I also understand that it is fashionable these days to shoot the breeze with the buddies and share stories about how we were ripped off by this store or that store. I get all that. What I don't get is why a business must be accused of ripping people off based on price alone.

Go ahead, let the me have it. Nothing new here.

Sean

Mr Seaken, I would gladly buy from you. I can buy residential electrical supplies at HD cheaper than at the local wholesale supply house. I will go out of business before I lower myself to shop anything at lowes or HD.

I gotta tell ya, I feel ripped off when I go to Lowes or HD, or any other store these days and I cannot offer to pay twice the price for a decent tool box or a decent broom. I HATE buying cheap tools but I don't have a choice anymore. That's all the suppliers around me offer. Okay, I could probably find an internet source. But what ever happened to the local hardware store or supplier who knew your name and your needs and would order stuff to put on their shelves just because they knew quality contractors like you would come in and buy it?

Things are all out of whack. The local guys are considered crooks because we can't afford to buy products for re-sale at half the price the big discount stores offer for what appears to be similar product.

If only you guys knew what that local dealer was facing every day as the margins erode and customers become more difficult to please. I just shake my head when I read threads like this.

I've read a lot of debate about class A chimney pipe and whether dealers are over priced and whether the big box stores sell inferior products. I've read a bunch of other forum posts about class A chimney pipe. I've also gotten quotes for pipe from dealers in my area and as far away from me as 120 miles.

Eventually, I purchased Selkirk's SuperVent class A chimney. It's safety certified to both UL 103 HT (USA) and ULC S-604 & 610 (Canada). It has stainless steel inner and outer construction.

The big difference I see with purchasing chimney pipe through a dealer is service and expertise. When I purchased my stove through a dealer, they were willing to answer any questions that I had about installation, operation, repair, etc., of the stove. The big box store will not do that. They're not experts in this area. The dealer, on the other hand, is an expert in wood stoves and chimney (or at least they should be).

I might have liked to purchase my pipe from my dealer. He was offering me a complete chimney parts package for my installation for about $915.00. He said that included a discount for purchasing my stove from him. No doubt it did. But for me, since my dealer is 120 miles away, I didn't want to be in need of a part and have to drive two hours to get it. I had previously gone to several dealers in my area but was unimpressed by the service.

I decided on the SuperVent chimney because the product is readily available through my local Menards. With three Menards stores in my town, I figured that I should be able to get any stock part any day that I need it, even if I have to go to another store. The other thing that sealed the deal for me was the good telephone customer service that Selkirk provided me prior to purchasing their chimney. Lastly, the price is a little more affordable.

Attachments

• Is my stove shop trying to rip me off on a class A chimney for a wood stove?
    Class A Box Label.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.