Is My Thelin Parlour 3000 Done? Time to Buy New?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cazk2000

Sep 17, 2014
New York
Posted earlier but my email got cut off.

We have a Thelin Parlour 3000 that was installed 6 years ago. We bought the floor model from a local dealer for $1200. They told us the only difference with the new models was this did not have the self -starter, and it had never been used.

We called to have them service and check a clinking sound from the fan. They came out and told us it needed a new motor and could do it that afternoon. After taking it apart the repair man told us - even though his boss swore it would work - he didn't have that type of motor. He waited for his boss to call Thelin and was told by the boss that they said the parts were not available. He offered to take the stove and throw it out.

The dealer/owner said what did we expect from a stove over 10 years old and swore we had to have bought it then. Even though we have proof of his sale and installation only 6 years ago.

Anyway - we have learned that this dealer is known for leaving customers high and dry.

Right now it is in pieces on my living room floor. Called Thelin and they think they have the parts and advised me that we should stock up since they don't have many left. We also found out from Thelin that according to the serial number our actual stove was from 1996 (though I find it hard to believe it was sitting on our dealers showroom floor for over 20 years.)

Given the cost involved with new parts, labor and anticipated issues - does it just make sense to cut our losses?

The stove was not hooked up to any thermostat - so we weren't saving as much in oil since it was never on when we weren't home.

Our house is only 1000 sq feet. - the space were it is located is pretty narrow - so we would need a small stove.

Our neighbor bought online and had someone do the installation - all of our piping is in - would this be the best value? Any reputable websites.

I would spend decent money on a new stove if we knew it had a record of minimal repairs. Do we have to use a dealer.

Many have recommended Harman - of course the local dealer is the place that we had the bad experience. We are located in Putnam county, NY - the next closest dealer is in Connecticut. Does that matter? Is it important to have a dealer close by for repairs and service? Even if they have a poor customer service record.

Fix or buy new? Any particular stove recommendations and where to purchase? If we have the piping already installed - should we still hire a professional to install the new stove?

Thanks - as you can tell I'm starting from scratch - so any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.