Is summit too big for small house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northernnys

Dec 14, 2022
Nys
We have a 1300 sq ft single story house in northern ny (30 min south of Canada). We ordered the pe super but they sent us the summit..is that too big for 1300 sq ft

The Super would have been a better fit. How well the Summit will work out depends on the house. If the floorplan is open and the house is just average old construction then it could work out. If the stove room is not wide open to the rest of the house it may be overkill.
Upper NYS can get cold, so the Summit could work out with proper operation. Tell us more about the house and floorplan. How hot would you like it to be?

Reactions: 1kzwoman
A stove is often recommended to cover up to 2000 square feet. Or up to 3000sqft. In brochures if often depends on how warm warm is to you which stove you buy . If warm is 65 in far out laying room you may want a smaller stove. But if you want to try for 72 a larger stove may suit you.
Many forum members like the stoves to fit the climate of your location, as well as recommended square footage from dealer

The Super would have been a better fit. How well the Summit will work out depends on the house. If the floorplan is open and the house is just average old construction then it could work out. If the stove room is not wide open to the rest of the house it may be overkill.
Upper NYS can get cold, so the Summit could work out with proper operation. Tell us more about the house and floorplan. How hot would you like it to be?
This is the floor plan. The woodstove will be on the wall connecting the living room to the dining room/bedroom. We currently use kerosene which is now 7.5/gallon so would like to heat almost entirely with the woodstove. Not sure ceiling height but pretty average. Floors are concrete-with prepadded vinyl flooring. No basement. We don't mind heat up to 72. There are lots of windows and glass doors in the living area. Returning the woodstove for the super became a hastle because they wanted us to return and pick up the new one and it was quite a drive and would require finding someone with a trailer to haul. It is possible though. My biggest concern is safety. Does building small fires in a large stove increase risk of chimney fires. I'm super amateur.

Is summit too big for small house?

This is the floor plan. The woodstove will be on the wall connecting the living room to the dining room/bedroom. We currently use kerosene which is now 7.5/gallon so would like to heat almost entirely with the woodstove. Not sure ceiling height but pretty average. Floors are concrete-with prepadded vinyl flooring. No basement. We don't mind heat up to 72. There are lots of windows and glass doors in the living area. Returning the woodstove for the super became a hastle because they wanted us to return and pick up the new one and it was quite a drive and would require finding someone with a trailer to haul. It is possible though. My biggest concern is safety. Does building small fires in a large stove increase risk of chimney fires. I'm super amateur.

View attachment 305197
House built in 1980 I believe.

Thanks, that's very helpful. The Summit can run fine with just 4-5 splits. As long as the wood is fully seasoned it will get good secondary combustion with a partial load. But, you may only get the full benefit of the larger firebox when it's very cold out. . If the intent is to burn 24/7 with wood as the primary heating fuel, I'd return the Summit in exchange for the Super. It is a hassle, and the seller should make this good for you in some sort of compensation for the hassle and fuel.

Thanks, that's very helpful. The Summit can run fine with just 4-5 splits. As long as the wood is fully seasoned it will get good secondary combustion with a partial load. But, you may only get the full benefit of the larger firebox when it's very cold out. . If the intent is to burn 24/7 with wood as the primary heating fuel, I'd return the Summit in exchange for the Super. It is a hassle, and the seller should make this good for you in some sort of compensation for the hassle and fuel.
I'd second begreen; The Super would be what I'd want in that space. It should be plenty of stove.
My SIL has the T5, same box as the Super. It burns a long time including the coaling phase, and puts out good heat throughout the cycle. She has about 1400 sf with a vaulted ceiling in the main room, with 2x4 walls so not the greatest insulation, and quite a bit of glass. It's milder here than in upstate NY, however..
I'd also second the "fully seasoned wood" aspect. How long has it been split and stacked? Some wood species will dry faster than others, with Oak being among the slowest. Get a moisture meter and test a few large splits, that have been brought to room temp for a couple days, then re-split and tested in the center of the freshly-exposed face. 20% or lower is fuel that's ready, and your stove will operate as designed.

Last edited:
If you will be living there and heating full time, the Super is what you want. If coming up to a second house that is the same temperature as the outside, you’ll want the Summit.