Is there a 2-wire wifi thermostat that works for pellet stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edrrt

Nov 19, 2019
Sonoma
I'd like to be able to control my stove from my smart phone. Turn it on before I get home etc.

I understand I need a swing setting to prevent short cycling. My quad just has a 2 wire thermostat right now.

Does this exist?

Can nest work with a older Quadrafire with the 2 wire mechanical T-stat?
If not I'd settle for a wireless remote I could mount closer to my bed without fishing wires through walls.

Anyone done this?

Last edited:
The Ecobee will work and probably the Nest but they will both need an interface relay.
Ecobee millivolt wiring diagram.JPG

The relay and transformer will cost around 40 dollars which will include the box to mount the relay in. I'm using the Ecobee to control all the aspects of my Harman P43. The Ecobee has settings to keep the stove from short cycling and also geofencing which will put the stove in away mode when your phone gets so far from the house and automatically back in home mode when you return. Got my parts from Amazon but a local heating supply would also have them. The top of the line also has Alexa built in so you could also control your stove with your voice as well as your phone or computer. Been using mine for about 2 months now.
Ron

There are a lot of 2 wire WiFi TStats that work.
Just download the free Samsung Smart Things app and pick a millibolt T-Stat that has the swing setting or anti-cycle delay in the stat and bingo! I use 2 old Lowe’s Iris WiFi stats that work fine. See pics

B131B814-C854-40EE-8489-CF04A8AE6155.png E728A66A-B0F2-4F8C-944F-A3F7C965E77E.png

I have setup what @railfanron posted. Works well, was easy to do, can turn the stove up for the other half before she gets home if it's an especially cold day.

It seems those are no longer available. It looks like they were made by the radio thermostat company. I presume if I got any of their more current versions that they would have a swing setting? Also how did you get 24 volt electricity to power the wi-fi? I presume they all have to be wired in somewhere?

That's the reason you have to have a relay type interface. That gives you the voltage to power the thermostat while not letting it into the stove's electronics. What 607 is showing to power the stat is the same one I'm using. This is the relay I'm using:
Amazon product ASIN B004XS148C
Add a box to put it in and you're all set. I cut a hole in a plastic box and mounted the relay on top of it. That left the relay out of the box with the wiring inside. That left more room for the wiring. You can use this setup on any WiFi thermostat that's 24 volt powered. The swing setting on the Ecobee has a very wide range. I have mine set at 13 minutes so that it runs kind of tag team with the Propane furnace.
Ron

Exactly, unless you like a fried broken control board....I'd show a pic of mine but it's kinda ugly, but I also stuffed everything in the basement so in the room all you see is the stove working and t-stat mounted to the wall.