Is there a "magic number" to calculate stacked split volume?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooby074

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2011
Nova Scotia
Im wondering if there is a value you can use to calculate how much actual wood is in a average stacked, split cord?

Im trying to accurately calculate how much a stacked volume of wood will weigh for a given wood density, taking into consideration the unused space between splits. Im doing this as part of an idea I have for moving wood with my small tractor. Treating a block as a solid piece of wood as opposed wood with airspace around it changes the "do-ability" for my tractor considerably.

Would a density of 90% be a reasonable number for a typical stack? More? Less?

Most studies have come up with 80 to 85% wood with the rest being air/space.

Shortly somebody will chime in saying that is a crock but...

Reactions: TreePointer
You can calculate the weight of the volume of wood you wish to transport with wood densities and subtracting interstitial space volumes, but I skip that step by using full cord weights available in firewood BTU charts in my calculation.

I use 4000 lbs per cord to estimate the maximum weight of a seasoned cord (128 cu.ft.) in my area, noting that green wood can be MUCH heavier.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Ill use 90% as a fill factor to allow for any "underestimations" in my cord weights .

Status
Not open for further replies.