is there a way to safely remove a pane of glass from a fogged window that is in place?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
well too difficult to replace the window. I would like to remove the inner pane of these cheapo windows . cause they are a bit fogged. I saw at a cheap big box Giant years ago where a window had an inside removable pane of glass/ Different than Pella designer series. I guess that would do for the several thats not been replaced. Hubby can make up screens. In the meantime I got to use those cheap adjustable unit screen to get air flow. I hate the pieces of junk. cause they don't keep out the dang bugs at nite or even wasps. Since I don't use AC much.
Gonna try a Dremel first and carefully try to cut it out with a glass cutter?
anybody ever did such? . I don't want to break both panes. I wish the original HOwners just kept the single paned original windows. ?
already had most windows replaced over the last few years. But now Hubby won't mess with them anymore.
too much on his plate. and location of windows too hard to mess with, and we aren't Young's any more> LOL

pella windows how old are they ? there was a problem for a few years of production around 89-92 or so. gas would leak out from between panes. panes would collapse and touch each other in the middle ( worst case) Fogging is indication of this also. I had a house full of this. I replaced just the double pane glass inserts. way less than the whole window. For me ( naturally ) I was just past the warranty ( 20 years). world of differance from 1 winter to the next.

well too difficult to replace the window. I would like to remove the inner pane of these cheapo windows . cause they are a bit fogged. I saw at a cheap big box Giant years ago where a window had an inside removable pane of glass/ Different than Pella designer series. I guess that would do for the several thats not been replaced. Hubby can make up screens. In the meantime I got to use those cheap adjustable unit screen to get air flow. I hate the pieces of junk. cause they don't keep out the dang bugs at nite or even wasps. Since I don't use AC much.
Gonna try a Dremel first and carefully try to cut it out with a glass cutter?
anybody ever did such? . I don't want to break both panes. I wish the original HOwners just kept the single paned original windows. ?
already had most windows replaced over the last few years. But now Hubby won't mess with them anymore.
too much on his plate. and location of windows too hard to mess with, and we aren't Young's any more> LOL
Dremel and drilling a hole is a no no. It's going to break the glass. I warned my father back in the early 80's not to do it to a slider. He didn't listen.

pella windows how old are they ? there was a problem for a few years of production around 89-92 or so. gas would leak out from between panes. panes would collapse and touch each other in the middle ( worst case) Fogging is indication of this also. I had a house full of this. I replaced just the double pane glass inserts. way less than the whole window. For me ( naturally ) I was just past the warranty ( 20 years). world of differance from 1 winter to the next.
The inside glass of our 1984 Pellas is gasketed and removable. The outer glass is fixed in place. They are not sealed double-pane, just a 1" gap between the two single panes. The screen on these windows sits on an interior channel independent of the window. Somehow though it didn't sound like this is what they have, but rather what she would like to emulate. A picture would help.

Many pella windows can be serviced. However, this sounds like it's a large picture window. If you attempt to do this with the window vertical, and you screw up in any way, large jagged pieces of non tempered glass will come falling down on you.

Is it worth the risk?

It doesn't sound like these are Pellas.

I would like to remove the inner pane of these cheapo windows . cause they are a bit fogged. I saw at a cheap big box Giant years ago where a window had an inside removable pane of glass/ Different than Pella designer series.

These are not tempred glass just regular glass cheap double paned. not real large/ I don't know the brand either. some cheap builders grade type// I want to break the inner pane on these cheapo windows. so I can see out and carefully remove all the inner pane glass......I know all about Pella older Designer windows since we had them at all our different homes. We have double pane at this house and casement other homes. Thanks all

Last edited:
Jean, what happens to non tempered glass when you break it? Large shards fall down! This is a bad idea!

My old house had unknown brand wood casements with double panes. The inside pane cracked from it getting smacked with something. I just took out the cartridge and cut the rubber seal that held the 2 panes together to remove the broken one. Then just replaced the inside pane with a generic piece of glass stacked in its place. No seal but I didn’t care, I had no money at the time. It didn’t fog up any worse than anything else.

If you have sealed "glass packs" then they are removable/replaceable. If you have a fogging issue they likely need replacement.

I had an issue where the gas leaked out slowly over 25 years and there was a vacuum, so the 2 panes would almost touch in the center when it was really cold out. For the glass packs that were casement, I cranked them out and make a jig so I would drill a hole exactly in the center of the 2 panes. Huge woosh of air sucked in, quickly sealed the small hole with silicone. Worked. For the couple of windows that were not casement, had to get a 12" caulk knife (with standard box cutter blade) to cut the caulking around the window from the outside. Window came out from the inside of the house. Had to remove the wood trim inside. Not easy at all.

You are talking about thermopane windows, right?
On the inside, the glass is held in place but moldings
which can be removed very carefully. I use a Lee Valley
catspaw. After molding are removed cut caulking around
the window and remove the glass. your local glass store will be
able to get you a new thermopane. Installation, remove old
caulking put a bead of new caulking (does not matter what kind
push window into place, replace moldings and paint

O know that guys as I have cleaned up plenty of glass. I luv to have My Pellas I bought installed but only one will fit. In order to install would be a PAIN in the butt. Hubby won't do and the two guys that helped installed the used Pella ones won't do it.
Plus as most of my stored used or new PELLA windows are wrong sized . Bricks would have to be removed and the brick ledge etc. Plus we had installed a giant used steel awning above those windows
The Ass hat that installed the one set of new non Pella double hung in kitchen didn't do the best job. Jury ed rigged but thy work. Unfortunately at that time I had not bought some NEW Pella casements/ duh////
I think I have had enough of casements in previous houses. plus they would hit the aluminum awning on most windows..
So I AM. willing to carefully remove the inner pane piece by piece an have cut a piece larger and add some of that vinyl edging around it and clamp with turn buttons.
I just wish I took some pictures and wrote down info on a unit I saw at a BIG box store back in 2012 1, or 2013. Oh, would only need to do pane removal on two windows
Plus I have made heavy insulated roman shades etc foe all windows. I don't use heat or AC until I really have too I got several of wool sweaters ec.. I layer clothing in winter
THANKS ALL

Last edited:
If you have sealed "glass packs" then they are removable/replaceable. If you have a fogging issue they likely need replacement.

I had an issue where the gas leaked out slowly over 25 years and there was a vacuum, so the 2 panes would almost touch in the center when it was really cold out. For the glass packs that were casement, I cranked them out and make a jig so I would drill a hole exactly in the center of the 2 panes. Huge woosh of air sucked in, quickly sealed the small hole with silicone. Worked. For the couple of windows that were not casement, had to get a 12" caulk knife (with standard box cutter blade) to cut the caulking around the window from the outside. Window came out from the inside of the house. Had to remove the wood trim inside. Not easy at all.
No they are not easily removed cause when we took aout some of them years ago we tried. so I kept some of them and used for various projects and some sat out om the weather. and the wood rotted so they were NOT....not.... removable while the window are in PLACE