Is there anything new coming from BK in the Clydesdale class?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
As most of you know, I have been delighted with my BKK for nearly a decade. I'm finalizing plans for the final phase of the house rebuild and have elected to shift the lions share of the heating load to a wood boiler in a dedicated room with an exterior door in the walkout basement for a number of reasons. Most of them are around lessons learned from pushing ~8 cord a year through a stove in the middle of the house for a decade. Anyway, I am keeping a hearth in the plan for the main room of the house and have been shopping options for the last six months. Everything from fireplaces to inserts to masonry heaters to a non cat freestanding stove, etc. But, I have a hard time getting away from how well the BKK does what it does. I am wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings about anything new King size coming that I should wait for? I am considering a King Parlor to replace the Ultra but it is still a pretty industrial looking stove.

If remodeling, invest in extra insulation and tight sealing. That will pay back year round. Then if you want to have a nicer looking BK consider the Ashford or Sirocco 30. Or save some bucks and just stick with the King Ultra that you have.

Reactions: SolarAndWood
Its a rebuild and not skimping on the insulation...minimum of R40 outside the sheathing on all non-window walls (no windows other than S and SSW walls) and minimum of R80 above sheathing on roof (combination of PERSIST for cathedral and REMOTE for flat ceiling sections of the house).

I'm pretty addicted to the bigger firebox. Mine would need some serious attention to be worthy of the new space as it has been worked hard. I also don't think I want the side insulation panels or convection deck as I think I am going without blowers this time - new role as space heater/ambiance as opposed to whole house heater 24/7/210.

I am going without blowers this time - new role as space heater/ambiance as opposed to whole house heater 24/7/210.
If you are not going to be burning 24/7 why would you need the big firebox? I understand that is what you are used to but if it is for ambiance I would go with a better looking stove that gives you a better fire view. But that is up to you.

Reactions: SolarAndWood
I like the options that come with the bigger firebox. Definitely not a requirement though. The fire view is another question though that I have struggled with and haven't quite resolved. I've always liked the Equinox and only chose the King because my first priority was heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.