Is this 602 worth 200?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beeffarmer

Sep 17, 2020
Ohio
Hey all. I ran across this 602 on Facebook. Asking price is 200 obo. I looked it over, and it looks like a project, but not to tough. Ive never seen it in person. I would like someone with knowledge to give me their input. Thank you.

messaging_get_attachment.jpeg received_182749653889431.jpeg received_700704394094676.jpeg received_340665290938587.jpeg received_364648011867608.jpeg received_4325070370891155.jpeg received_3895243073920718.jpeg received_3685770058190280.jpeg received_3003818919937925.jpeg received_200414798767232.jpeg

Looks like the internal burn plates are toast. Probably not worth $200 if you want to restore it for use.

The picture of the inside the stove looks like he right burn plate is missing. This stove still looks like it has some live in it so it all depends on what you are going to use it for. If you keep a close on on Facebook Marketplace you can sometime get a wood stove with a better secondary burn system. I have even seen some nice stoves for $50.00 but you have be the first one to see the add.

I see both burn plates are there. Just hard to see in the one picture. And they dont look too warped, they should clean up. And there are no external cracks that I see. The baffle has a crack in the back, but those are cheap on woodsman. Your missing a handle, you can get that on woodsman too. And your missing the flue adapter, again, available.
All in all, if you are planning to fully restore it too keep it, its not the worst by any means. If your trying to restore too sell, id try to get it cheaper.

Reactions: clancey
Looking at the pictures again, they have it mis-labeled also w the masking tape. Its just an old 602, not a “F602”cb”” two completely different stoves, with completely different burn set ups and internals. The f602cb is well over 1000 new, but this 602 has not been sold new in almost 25 years. And is worth much much less than a F602cb.

[B]Deranged Hermit[/B] thanks for pointing out my misreading the pictures. When I looked closer I could see the other plate. Hope Beeffarmer finds what he is looking for. This is the first time I have seen pictures of the inside of a Jotul 602 . It is very much like the WoodFord I rebuilt sometime back.

[B]Deranged Hermit[/B] thanks for pointing out my misreading the pictures. When I looked closer I could see the other plate. Hope Beeffarmer finds what he is looking for. This is the first time I have seen pictures of the inside of a Jotul 602 . It is very much like the WoodFord I rebuilt sometime back.
Yea the internals of these old vintage 602 stoves are as basic as they get. Just a couple burn plates to protect the sides, and a baffle to reflect some of the heat back down to make the stove a little more efficient.
The new F602CB, completely different, bottom
Burn plates, fiberglass insulation under and between the side burn plates, and a robust secondary air baffle to increase output and efficiency. Problem now, is they are too easy to overfire and people will burn the internals right to crap in a f602, and then your looking at $500 in parts and a complete tear down to repair.

Needs some work, but not a bad place to start from. Offer $150 and see if they will accept that.

I really appreciate the replies. Lots of good information here. Im still on the fence, if I buy it, then I will either use it in the house, where my wife says we don't need it. Or at the farm office, where dad probably won't want to keep it up during the day.