Is this a bypass lever ? CAT stove I’m a newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Emmy21092

Dec 24, 2021
Em566697.
Some what of a newbie we bought our house a little over 2 years ago. We definitely wanted a fireplace or wood stove and this one was here. I’ve been winging it learning through trial and error didn’t realize these things need a bit of understanding to operate it properly . It had no firebricks on the bottom once we replaced them last season it burned much better and much hotter. I didn’t know much about Cat until recently my husband took it out and cleaned it probably needs a replacement it’s an old stove. Made in the 80s so my search for a manual has not been successful. this knob closes a plate inside the fireplace I always a assumed that was to put the fire out but since reading the forums here I now realize this might be a bypass and should be closed all the way to push the smoke through the cat then out of the chimney?? Is this right ? I get nervous about shutting it all the way while the fire is going. the cat is behind this L shaped plate on the top close to holes on the door, which I also assume is the air coming from the air controls on the front of the door. Any help is appreciated!

46FBAC7A-B3DB-4AF5-AF32-CBEC089C7283.jpeg
B05901F3-D16A-45DA-AFA5-414B49676637.jpeg 07D86713-5E24-45FB-AF85-19E9CD2607FA.jpeg 8D658A82-802B-4496-9431-9229C860F620.jpeg

Some what of a newbie we bought our house a little over 2 years ago. We definitely wanted a fireplace or wood stove and this one was here. I’ve been winging it learning through trial and error didn’t realize these things need a bit of understanding to operate it properly . It had no firebricks on the bottom once we replaced them last season it burned much better and much hotter. I didn’t know much about Cat until recently my husband took it out and cleaned it probably needs a replacement it’s an old stove. Made in the 80s so my search for a manual has not been successful. this knob closes a plate inside the fireplace I always a assumed that was to put the fire out but since reading the forums here I now realize this might be a bypass and should be closed all the way to push the smoke through the cat then out of the chimney?? Is this right ? I get nervous about shutting it all the way while the fire is going. the cat is behind this L shaped plate on the top close to holes on the door, which I also assume is the air coming from the air controls on the front of the door. Any help is appreciated!

View attachment 288401 View attachment 288402 View attachment 288403 View attachment 288404
Yes that is a bypass damper. Have you had the system cleaned and inspected by a chimney professional? Doing it yourself is perfectly fine after you know everything is installed properly and in good working order.

Reactions: Emmy21092
Yes that is a bypass damper. Have you had the system cleaned and inspected by a chimney professional? Doing it yourself is perfectly fine after you know everything is installed properly and in good working order.
Tried to get one out a couple months ago he had to much going on so going to look around for another person to inspect it and Atleast give me a rundown on operating it properly my husband cleans and checks the chimney every year

Tried to get one out a couple months ago he had to much going on so going to look around for another person to inspect it and Atleast give me a rundown on operating it properly my husband cleans and checks the chimney every year
Is it hooked to a stainless liner that goes to the top of the chimney?