Is this a class A chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleSkidoo

Sep 30, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Is this a class A chimney?

It was installed in the mid 80's on a gas furnace and water heater. I can't find any markings or numbers stamped on it. Its in great shape.

What's the diameter? It looks like class A to me.. my 6" class A has an outer diameter of approx 9". Double wall is a little over 7"

The pipe is about 8 3/4" OD and the inside is stainless. Should be ok for a small wood stove?
Have it inspected by a pro. Being that old there could be some condition issues

I noticed that the chimney is too short. It is within 10 feet of the peak and I need to extend it 2 feet. I can't find the same diameter pipe, everything is bigger these days because of more insulation. I'll salvage this one for gas appliances and buy a new one. I would feel safer, this chimney is 30 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.