Is this a Fisher stove insert? Double doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Warner

Oct 11, 2018
Elgin, IL, United States
I'm thinking of putting an offer in on a house, and this wood burning stove is in the basement, obviously put inside a fireplace. Someone thought it may be a Fisher stove, but I'd like to get some expert opinions on it if I could. This is the only and best screen capture that I can get from the video I took as I walked around the house. Any info on the make and model of this would be great! Thanks in advance,

Warner

Nooe not a fisher and pretty sure it is an unsafe install.

Any idea who it's made by? What part of the install makes it "unsafe"?

Thanks for the reply,

Warner
Not enough floor protection. And i would det that is just stove pipe stuffed into the firebox maybe into the damper. But it should have a full stanless liner.

No idea on the maker but it really doesnt matter unless it has a ul tag

Any idea who it's made by?

I have owned a few of these wood stoves over the years to recondition.... also known as the WOODLAND brand made around the 80's.

Possibly i think is Minnesota made , definitely a Fisher clone..

Attachments

• woodland-jpg.jpg
    woodland-jpg.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Beware of a fake "installation" job.

When I bought my house over 10 years ago there was a Fisher baby bear stove "installed" in the mud room. The black stove pipe went up to the wall as if it was installed, but that's where the stove pipe ended. There was nothing through the wall, and no chimney outside. They had the baby bear sitting on a carpeted floor! I guess they we're trying to use the wood stove as a "selling" point.

Ask the seller if you can light the wood stove to see how well it works, and how fast it will heat the room. They will hopefully decline your request if the stove is only a "decoration", and not properly installed yet.

I question the contention that this sort of install is not "legal". It may have been perfectly legal at one point to run a pipe into the steelplate with no direct connection to the chimney. Probably is not legal now but that is bargaining point with the seller. Our family had a very similar setup in the mid seventies into the eighties which had the stove bolted to the plate and it came that way from the factory. It was a "legal" install at the time. It was bear to get going if the chimney was cold and creosote would coat the insides of the fireplace but it worked well enough to make a big dent in a heating bill. I do agree that the side and front clearances to the floor look marginal.

It comes down to the question, would I want to burn it the way it is?. I would not but if it was choice of no heat or wood heat due to a winter power loss I would chance it. I believe it can be made legal by putting in appropriate floor shielding, pulling the plate and direct connecting it but if it doesn't have a rating tag it may be moot issue as most insurance companies will not allow it.

I got my "free boiler" years ago because it was an illegal install and the new homeowner was advised that if she wanted insurance she had to remove it. She was going to pay someone to pull it out so I took it out for free. Its now a legal install.

Reactions: Todd67
I question the contention that this sort of install is not "legal". It may have been perfectly legal at one point to run a pipe into the steelplate with no direct connection to the chimney. Probably is not legal now but that is bargaining point with the seller. Our family had a very similar setup in the mid seventies into the eighties which had the stove bolted to the plate and it came that way from the factory. It was a "legal" install at the time. It was bear to get going if the chimney was cold and creosote would coat the insides of the fireplace but it worked well enough to make a big dent in a heating bill. I do agree that the side and front clearances to the floor look marginal.

It comes down to the question, would I want to burn it the way it is?. I would not but if it was choice of no heat or wood heat due to a winter power loss I would chance it. I believe it can be made legal by putting in appropriate floor shielding, pulling the plate and direct connecting it but if it doesn't have a rating tag it may be moot issue as most insurance companies will not allow it.

I got my "free boiler" years ago because it was an illegal install and the new homeowner was advised that if she wanted insurance she had to remove it. She was going to pay someone to pull it out so I took it out for free. Its now a legal install.
My concern is much less about the legality of it than the safety

Reactions: Todd67
X2 on the safety concern, not the legality.

I have a woodland stove I bought new in 1980. They were made in Iowa. Mine has a glass insert on one door. I’m still using it I have some original info on it somewhere. Email me snd I can text or mail a copy or pic. Bruce