Is this a good buy for a pellet stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OoPEZoO

Hearth Supporter
Mar 9, 2007
I'm new to the whole pellet stove thing. I've read about every piece of info I can find, and decided that I definitly want to have one installed by next winter. Then I stumbled onto this today while I was browsing the internet.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200325992_200325992

It looks like a great deal, but I certainly don't want to buy a piece of junk. Any thoughts?

I'll be installing it in the walkout basement of a 3 bedroom rancher. The basement is about 500 sq feet, and the upstairs is about 1000 sq ft.

I went to the USSC website and they seem to have a good number of local dealers in the area. I guess I would still be taking a chance, but that price is just awesome if it will do what I need (and of course isn't junk). I just didn't know if they made a decent product or not.

The only inexpensive pellet stove I would consider is an Englander. And that is because they stand behind their product. I am partial to Quadrafires for their quality components and ease of use, but would consider an Englander based on how well they support their stoves. There are several working parts in a pellet stove. This isn't a big deal if the design and execution are done right.

Good pellet stoves will use ball bearing motors and industrially proven components, often from the warm air furnace industry. But there are lots of places to save money, like lighter guage metal, sleeve bearing motors, simpler safety systems, marginally rated components. Your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.