Is this a hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
20200923_185616.jpg

It does look like a hickory. Pignut hickory is my first guess. I've never seen fungus like that.

The fungus??? Has been there year after year.....im curious if anyone knows what it is officially? The nut has a strong smell, close to a green walnut odour

Reactions: CincyBurner
It does look like a hickory. Pignut hickory is my first guess. I've never seen fungus like that.
Yes I'm fairly sure its a hickory as well, pignut or shellbark I'm not sure of? We have shagbark and bitternut as well here on the farm. The leaves are definitely much smaller than a bitternut. I did lookup and see it has a slim chance of being shellbark (red hickory) given our geographic location. But in general hickories are not abundant in this area. I guess we have a good spot for them.
The nut is from a hickory
the other we have a couple of very old Oak with
the same thing. The owner of woodland dynamics
told me what it was but that was 10/12 years ago
So it is long gone from my memory
Could this be it?
Phomopsis Gall in Hickory | BYGL
bygl.osu.edu

View attachment 263805

https://apps.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/deciduous/hickory/branchesdead.html
View attachment 263804
I think your bang on with this.

I think johneh has got it
+1 for Phomopsis gall in hickory