Is this beech?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 5, 2021
PA, USA
I spent a few hours yesterday bucking and hauling out chunks of this lovely tree that someone doesn't want in their backyard any more. I think it's a beech, but not completely sure. I have no leaves to refer too for ID. What do you all think? There is also some ash visible in the first picture. Thanks!

PXL_20220314_195009063.jpg

PXL_20220314_195012994.jpg

PXL_20220313_204157110.jpg

Reactions: thewoodlands
Yes, looks like its been dead awhile. Still goo firewood but get it split and under cover as the rot can hold water.

Yes, looks like its been dead awhile. Still goo firewood but get it split and under cover as the rot can hold water.
Thanks. I was told it was felled in November. So far all of the wood seems solid.

Agree with the beech. Great BTU's. I like to do a combo burn of beech with ash. Ash catches and burns easily. Beech catches a little harder but burns hotter and coals longer. 1 year seasoning has been OK, but 2 is better.

+1 on the beech. It is most of what I burn--primarily because it is what grows around my house. Where I am at, the beech are being destroyed by a bore and fungus. It breaks my heart when a 24inch tree comes down and I barely get a pickup load (I have a Tacoma with a 5ft bed) after I pick through the rotten stuff! Good hardwood though--on par with most oaks.

Looks like beech to me too.

I’ve been burning some seasoned on stump beech this winter. I have a bunch of them out in the woods. It seems like once they get big they die. Probably the fungus mentioned above.
The stuff I’m burning now has been dead for a few years. I usually mix it with ash and maple.

I started splitting it. It's got some spalting going on and some of it around the edges is going a little soft but still usable. The cores are solid.

I have about 70 of my 80 acres are beech dominant, there are some nice old bear beaches but 90% of them have blight in various stages. Due to access issues the vast majority are going to be girdled and then squirted with Garlon (a herbicide). Hopefully it will knock back the beech and let the other types of trees like sugar maples move in.

The bark looks like beech to me.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I'm not sure what it is but I don't think it is beech. Beech bark is usually more gray and smoother and there is little color difference between the heartwood and sapwood