Is this corn stove worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nigel459

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hello all,

We recently moved. In the basement of the new (to us) house is an old corn stove, installed ca. 1995.

I'm wondering what you think of it, whether anyone knows anything about it.

The previous owners did use it last season, but they say to "check it over." The air intake/exhaust may need repair or replacement, but there's no obvious external damage save a little rust where the pipe sticks out of the foundation wall.

We are having a wood stove installed in a different location next week so I am thinking I can certainly show the pros and see if they have any comment, but I also thought I'd poll the group here to see if we can come up with anything.

Basically I've never used a corn stove (many years with wood stoves tho) and I don't know where to start, i.e. important parts to keep clean, lubed, etc. With the wood stove coming in we will not be needing the corn stove as a primary heat source, but it would likely be nice for those really cold days.

Can't find a manual online or anywhere for it. Label says it's a Dovetec Model D2.

It came with a few bags of corn. Might as well burn it if I can...

Thanks for any help :)

thumb_IMG_2686_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_2690_1024.jpg

i dont know if this is for your exact model, but i did find a manual for dayton corn stove.

Attachments

• dovetec_manual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,232
i dont know if this is for your exact model, but i did find a manual for dayton corn stove.
Thanks very much! Some interesting reading. Seems like a nice way to burn: set it and forget it.

My model is the "D2" which does look different from the pictures in the manual but I'm sure a lot of the same principles and guidelines apply.

Thanks again :)

Some corn stoves will also burn pellets. I would think the price of corn would be prohibitive. There's also the storage issue. If it was me, Id try and sell it, and purchase a newer pellet stove.

Some corn stoves will also burn pellets. I would think the price of corn would be prohibitive. There's also the storage issue. If it was me, Id try and sell it, and purchase a newer pellet stove.
Thanks, yeah that's what the they (previous owners) suggested. Any idea at all what it's worth? They suggested $400 (CAD so ~$300USD). A quick craigslist/kijiji search has prices all over the map.

I ran the numbers once and found corn was cheaper to run than pellets by a good bit. Of course it all depends on the price of corn vs pellets. I guess it smells like popcorn when its going so thats a plus.

Well bing that Dovetec went belly up years ago and you cant even find a manual let alone parts. First one to offer more than scrap price would be loading it up lol

Thanks, yeah that's what the they (previous owners) suggested. Any idea at all what it's worth? They suggested $400 (CAD so ~$300USD). A quick craigslist/kijiji search has prices all over the map.

Sounds about right.

Exhaust from corn is crazy corrosive, so yes check the venting out thoroughly! It is getting to the point where price wise it is becoming more lucrative to burn corn than pellets. Corn prices have been coming down, but the only way I have seen pellet prices go is UP!

Exhaust from corn is crazy corrosive, so yes check the venting out thoroughly! It is getting to the point where price wise it is becoming more lucrative to burn corn than pellets. Corn prices have been coming down, but the only way I have seen pellet prices go is UP!
Interesting about the corrosive nature of corn stove exhaust--I did not know that. It would explain why the piping is pretty shot...

Still trying to decide what to do with the "beast in the basement"...

Thanks everyone for the info!

gotta be one heavy box!! we could all come over and play poker on it : )

I just paid $120/ton for corn. Pellets range from 150-250/ ton here

If it were me id have to try and run it. But i cant leave anything alone so says the wife

AF54E31D-4846-44F7-9199-4DA89EB73924.jpeg D72D8E7A-5CEB-4FFD-B1BE-B854F15233EE.jpeg 6B034ADB-C46A-4E8E-A17F-07A9D724D01F.jpeg
If it were me id have to try and run it. But i cant leave anything alone so says the wife
Reviving this thread as I must have some of the same genes as @Ssyko. Gave it a go.

I did a good once-over of this beast. Removed all panels, inspected exhaust, etc. Everything looked sound. Some corrosion (OK a bunch) at the end of the exhaust flue, outside. Vacuumed everywhere I could. What I thought might be nasty creosote in the firebox area sucked right off with the vacuum--sweet. With some trepidation, equipped with smoke detector and CO detector, I lit er up.

Long story somewhat shorter, she ran great! Throws off some really nice heat. Blower fan, I expected to be much noisier. Nice tiny little window of a flame show, ha.

I would love to be able to hook up to a thermostat, but this unit can't. This is a K.I.S.S. unit with two dials, one for feed rate and one for fan rate. No board. Ah well. I am now in a quandary. I am sold on pellet/corn heat for our basement, mainly due to the venting simplicity. We have a wood stove on the main level that easily heats up there, so heating the partially finished basement with workshop etc. would be supplemental/cold weather use.

Are there some stoves that you can simply set to a temp on a thermostat, say on a schedule even, and actually self-ignite?

Thanks again all for your replies above. Here are some photos :)

NICE! Its always a good feeling to revive old equipment and see it work. Most self igniter stoves work with tstats with a few exceptions. Welcome to the stove addict’s club. Happy heating :cool:

Reactions: Nigel459