Is this Hackberry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking59

Nov 13, 2016
Asgard
Tree gurus....is this hackberry, or something different?

bb62d2569abed64c0a051b786b3adf8e.jpgdeffb13a7f9568bc99b8f9e1bcb30d26.jpgdbc7e65ba96e61b4462c4ed955254e33.jpg

Last edited:
Bark is too smooth to be hackberry. I am not familiar with the NC trees, but my guess for out there would be beech or gum.

I think something else. Look like Iron wood to me.

Bark is too smooth to be hackberry. I am not familiar with the NC trees, but my guess for out there would be beech or gum.

Yes the bark is fairly smooth.

I'm leaning towards American Beech,,,,,,

Last edited:
Well it's for sure not the hackberry I'm used to in OH, which has very warty-like bark. However, I believe you have a variety of European hackberry, which has that prehistoric look to it. I thought the leaves were serrated on the edges, but maybe some don't. Would love to see what it looks like on the inside and how it burns.

I'm leaning towards American Beech
Pretty sure it's not beech. Bark is off, as well as the structure of the tree. And the leaf is deff not beech.

Looks like the sugarberry (hackberry variant) that's in my yard, the leaves look right but the bark on my tree has a few more "warts" on it than yours.

The leaf looks like a lindheimer hackberry but not the bark, and the lindheimer is more of a Texas tree. Can you post a close-up of another leaf?

The leaf looks like a lindheimer hackberry but not the bark, and the lindheimer is more of a Texas tree. Can you post a close-up of another leaf?

Some of the leafs are actually smooth on the edges. This one is from same tree, but has a more jagged edge

2dc471099cdd11cfbed849b1458a5baa.jpg

It's a hackberry of some kind or like others have said a "variant". Are you planning on using it or just wanted the ID?

If its a decent wood to burn, I'll cut it up, split and burn it.

Hackberry is from the elm family. So it is about mid-range in terms of BTUs (better than poplar, worse than oak, about equal to cherry), probably on the more difficult side to split.

It has wildlife value though, specifically birds. So if you have any interest in that, you can cut elsewhere.

The tree in your picture isn't really a shining example of the specimen, so if you have other trees like it nearby and want to open up the canopy a little bit, I'd say it's a good candidate for firewood. All those branches will make the main trunk a doozy to split though.

It appears as though most of the hackberry/sugarberry variants are all about the same in terms of wood value. For me it's a low grade wood (a little less BTU's than elm or cherry) and somewhat more susceptible to rot than others. Looks like a lot of wood though.

Hackberry is from the elm family. So it is about mid-range in terms of BTUs (better than poplar, worse than oak, about equal to cherry), probably on the more difficult side to split.

It has wildlife value though, specifically birds. So if you have any interest in that, you can cut elsewhere.

The tree in your picture isn't really a shining example of the specimen, so if you have other trees like it nearby and want to open up the canopy a little bit, I'd say it's a good candidate for firewood. All those branches will make the main trunk a doozy to split though.

The tree in question is already on the ground after hurricane Matthew. A little smaller ans straighter than the one i took a pic of. I'll give it a try burning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.