Is This Hearthstone Worth It?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ambull01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
It's going for $100. Here's the pics

Attachments

• 00404_5TyAkHvU7sW_600x450.jpg
    00404_5TyAkHvU7sW_600x450.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 288
  • 00n0n_lbLtiG1w5fA_600x450.jpg
    00n0n_lbLtiG1w5fA_600x450.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 00v0v_23Y7VwDlTvQ_600x450.jpg
    00v0v_23Y7VwDlTvQ_600x450.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 277
Looks like they used it as a huge flower pot. I'm assuming that's the vent although the shape is kind of weird.

that depends on how much of your time you are willing to spend. that is going to have to be taken down to the last bolt. by the look of that stove you will be drilling out the rusty bolts that break. then before assembly all the stones need to be buffed. lots of work. but you could have it ready for next year. i would love to know what model it is. it's to big to be a 3 and it is bigger than my 2 and i thought the 1 didn't have a secondary air tube.

that depends on how much of your time you are willing to spend. that is going to have to be taken down to the last bolt. by the look of that stove you will be drilling out the rusty bolts that break. then before assembly all the stones need to be buffed. lots of work. but you could have it ready for next year. i would love to know what model it is. it's to big to be a 3 and it is bigger than my 2 and i thought the 1 didn't have a secondary air tube.

The guy said it was either a I or II.

my 2 has a single door on the front. measure from the side door how long a piece of wood it will take. mine will take up 18 inch splits. the H 1 will take 24 inch

I'd pass.

If that was within driving distance I would already own it and this dang pellet stove would be on it's way out the door.

A soapstone burn barrel.

Reactions: rwhite
If it is on my side of the bay I will buy it. And use the soapstone to try it as firebrick in the 30-NC like I have been wanting to try.

You can almost scrap it for that. If you want to spend some money on parts and a few days swearing at soapstone and cast, Id say its well worth it. If I needed a stove and couldn't afford a new one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It's a very fun and satisfying project, rebuilding a stove, if not done under duress

You can almost scrap it for that. If you want to spend some money on parts and a few days swearing at soapstone and cast, Id say its well worth it. If I needed a stove and couldn't afford a new one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It's a very fun and satisfying project, rebuilding a stove, if not done under duress

If it's still for sale I think I'll buy it. Don't know anything about fixing/rebuilding a stove but these stoves look great when cleaned and repaired. Would be a nice conversation starter/centerpiece.

A good spit shine and some stove polish will probably easily triple it's value.

No. The cheapest soapstone stove around me is $600.
00O0O_5Qo7mA2IVmi_600x450.jpg

It almost looks like they wanted to see if the firebrick could melt.

It almost looks like they wanted to see if the firebrick could melt.

Had no idea they could melt actually. I would assume that is a prime example of an overfire?

Since you seem to be knowledgeable on these soapstone stoves, how are they at putting out heat? Trying to heat a 2,400 sq. ft. house.

Also, I'm assuming this stove is pre-EPA so there's no secondary combustion/Catalytic combuster right? I kind of like the whole theory of burning the majority of the flammable gases in the firebox before it's sent up the chimney.

I've never owned one, but I'm currently on the lookout for a new stove, and those things seem to carry a premium price tag... Even if you don't plan to keep it, it seems like a little bit of elbow grease could pay off.. Of course they are few and far between around here. If they are plentiful in your area they might not be worth as much?
I think they are making newer ones that are EPA approved with catalytic converters, but the older ones wont be.

I've seen some articles where people are converting older stoves into catalytic stoves but not sure if it will work on this Hearthstone. I don't really need the stove but thought it could look great with some work. Only issue is the amount of work required to bring it back to life.

that hole in the fireback is because they never cleaned out the ash behind that back plate. common on these hearthstones. if overfired the top baffle (the curved plate at the top of the fire box) is usually melted or sagging. as far as heating capability my manual says if it is a h2 it heats 10,000 cu. ft. and if it is a h1 24,000 cu.ft. that stove that you have pictured has a secondary burn. it's the pipe with the holes in it. does it have a ash pan on the bottom? i ask because i don't see where the fire would get it's primary air. on my h2 the air comes into the back of the stove and into the ash area and there is a grate at the bottom of the firebox to keep the ash pan area clear for the air and i don't see a grate in that stove or a area for primary air. to price out what you need go to www.woodmans.com

frank

Status
Not open for further replies.